Upgrade process to 3.2.0 hangs

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
platypus

Upgrade process to 3.2.0 hangs

Post by platypus »

I‘m currently on 3.1.1 and Debian stretch and hit the update button to 3.2.0 because I didn’t know it won’t work with stretch. Now the progress bar hangs at approximately 5 % with status “Installer starting”. After approx. 30 minutes I logged off from the web interface, closed the page, cleared browser cache and executed
sudo /etc/init.d/z-way-server restart
but it made no change. Z-Way 3.1.1 is up and running and the update window still shows “Installer starting”.

Then I wanted to take a look at /var/log/z-way-server.log but the default viewer won’t open it because the log’s size is 1,3 GiB. It has grown for more than a year now. Will it grow until the Pi’s SD is filled or will a log rotation take place?

I searched the log for “firmware” and “EEPROM” and found nothing for today. So is it safe to reboot the Pi to cancel this update process?
PoltoS

Re: Upgrade process to 3.2.0 hangs

Post by PoltoS »

There was an old bug with log rotation. It was fixed long time ago.

1) Please wait for the official v3.2.1 to be released (next week)
2) Please upgrade to Buster as Stretch has older libraries

You can roll back to v3.1.1 meanwhile
platypus

Post by platypus »

I did in the meantime:
  • restart the Pi during hanging upgrade process and it went well, the option to upgrade in web interface became available again
  • upgrade raspbian stretch to buster according to official instructions
  • still running z-way 3.1.1 for a couple of weeks on buster, without noticing any problems
Today I powered off the pi and made a backup image of the whole SD card. Then I upgraded to 3.2.2 using the web interface. It showed upgrade successful and the new version 3.2.2 as current version but the web interface became unavailable. Since I pressed upgrade nothing was written to z-way-server.log. sudo /etc/init.d/z-way-server restart said no such process running and restarting the Pi didn’t help either. I tried

Code: Select all

PKG=z-way-3.2.2_armhf.deb && wget -O /tmp/$PKG https://storage.z-wave.me/z-way-server/$PKG && sudo dpkg -i /tmp/$PKG

as written here and no error came up. I still couldn’t access the web interface locally or remotely. The situation is the same as described in this post.

I restored the SD card from the image and I’m back on 3.1.1.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Please help us to check your issue. Please show "ls -l /etc/init.d/z-way-server".
platypus

Post by platypus »

"ls -l /etc/init.d/z-way-server" before upgrade to 3.2.2:
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 1133 Sep 16 2020 /etc/init.d/z-way-server

"ls -l /etc/init.d/z-way-server" after upgrade to 3.2.2:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1133 Nov 30 00:31 /etc/init.d/z-way-server

And I also tried:
pi@HIMBEERE001:~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/z-way-server stop
Stopping z-way-server: start-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 29362: No such process
done.
pi@HIMBEERE001:~ $ sudo start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile /var/run/z-way-server.pid --make-pidfile --background --no-close --chdir /opt/z-way-server --exec z-way-server
pi@HIMBEERE001:~ $ Z-Way version v3.2.2 from 2021-11-29 15:40:21 +0300 (build 101045968be0f00797fdc4d1a70e2955271fe4e7)
Looking for modules in ./modules
Module modhomekit.so loaded
Failed to load module modmqtt.so: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libmosquitto.so.1: version `MOSQ_1.6' not found (required by ./modules/modmqtt.so)
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

hm.. please provide remote access. this looks strange
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Looks like an issue with libmosquitto.

Here is how it can be fixed (did it on your box):

Code: Select all

sudo /etc/init.d/z-way-server stop
sudo mv /opt/z-way-server/libs/libmosquitto.so* /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/
sudo /etc/init.d/z-way-server start
platypus

Post by platypus »

Yeah I see it's working with version 3.2.2 now. Thank you.