Clean install questions

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
AlesKO

Re: Clean install questions

Post by AlesKO »

Waited few days for my issue to be resolved. As you all can see, no response, no support.
Restore functionality is simply NOT working. Devices/nodes are not restored. Only Scenes, Schedules and Rules. What else need to be explained?

1.What I did:
Found out Rasp Z-way image /https://razberry.z-wave.me/z-way-server ... y.img.zip/ is quite old (v3.0.1). If you want 'restore' functionality to work, you need to upgrade v3.0.1. to v3.2.1 first.
Does it work? Of course NOT. It says 'upgrade completed successfully' but it is NOT. You have to upgrade Raspbian first. Then it upgrades fine.
I am quite sure technical team is aware of this problem (and many others). Would be fair if known problems are published on installation instructions web page. Otherwise try & error is the only way to go.

2. Is z-way really free software and customers should be aware of it and not ask for tech support?
If I buy a phone, I expect my Android OS to work as expected. If i buy Razberry module I expect at least basic things (as clean install) to work. I also bought few z-UNO modules and also expect IDE SW to work with it. I am hardly waiting for Raz 7 to be available in EU and would be great if z-way is compatible with it. Right?

And for mr. harre: https://z-wave.me/z-way/z-way-licensing/

I really miss Raspbian Desktop instalation. It is MUCH easier to read log files and search for z-way bugs/behaviour. In remote console mode (which I am not familiar with) I would never find serious bug - log rotate file exceding 2Gb in size! Every month or so my Raspberry refuses to connect remotelly (find.z-wave.me). I do not know the reason. Can only connect locally. Contoller works fine, just remote access is not allowed. Hard reset also helps.

My next problem? Rasp Z-way image installation does not allow Wi-fi to work. If I try to enable it (sudo raspi-config), "Could not communicate with wpa-supplicant" error appears. Great.

My smart home is not working for more than a week and I spent days and nights trying to fix it. Some of us have jobs and families too. For us smart home is just a hobbists project. We like freedom z-way offers but are not experts in detail. And some people are upset when I say I am frustrated...

I am sure mr. Poltorak Serguei knows exactly what I am talking about. But he remains silent.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Hi, sorry, we have a lot of support tracks, so we usually don't read threads where other people are answering to let the community do their work. If you really need our support, write us on support@z-wave.me. The forum is for the community and we try to let the community answer.

About your problems, I'm not really sure about the state of your work. You installed our old.image and we're not able to update Z-Way on it, right?

Please do sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade and then Z-Way should upgrade without problems. We are aware of those issues (caused by Eclipse SSL certificates issues, not even on our side). We are working on a new release that will address those issues and add support of the new Raspbian Bullseye. Hope, will be ready next week.

Please feel free to request for our direct support via help.z-wave.me or support@z-wave.me. and keep going on the forum to share your experience and ask for advices from others.
enbemokel

Post by enbemokel »

Hi, as my SD card died a couple of days before, I also used the image from the page, this should be always an actuall image of the system.

I did all the updates, that in my opinion should be done always, installed my backup and the system was running. Took me about 2 hours I assume.

AlesKo, had this frustrating part 3-4 years ago, but after getting some basic knowledge about console command and the help of google.....it works

Overall newbie documentation and howtos should be concentrated on a website. Would life make easier.

Btw., if you google "value from 'stable' to 'oldstable'" you will find the command to get rid of this message and the update will be done.
I assume it was this command sudo apt-get --allow-releaseinfo-change-suite update
AlesKO

Post by AlesKO »

Hi enbemokel!
Since you used same image few days ago, how did you setup Wi-fi (Ethernet works)?
Looks like I am not the only one having problem with "Could not communicate with wpa_supplicant" error?
Tried to solve it manually by editing 'wpa_supplicant.conf' file. No success...
enbemokel

Post by enbemokel »

Didn´t use WLAN, just runninng on Lan mode.
As I have to do this in my 2 installations round about 2-3 years, I´m just doing my backups after every change
and also from time to time when I configure something.

So far I´m satisfied with the system and I like it. BUT, installation source must be up2date.
AlesKO

Post by AlesKO »

Thx. Will wait for Poltos's promise: "We are working on a new release that will address those issues and add support of the new Raspbian Bullseye. Hope, will be ready next week."

Have a nice day!
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

We have a test build, but better to wait for a release.
feuersee

Post by feuersee »

maybe it helps, i'm now happy with a clean install (Raspy3) and wlan working:

insert to empty file: /etc/network/interfaces

---------------------------------------------
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

iface default inet dhcp
---------------------------------------------

content of wpa_supplicant.conf:

--------------------------------------------
country=DE
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
network={
ssid="xxxxxxxx"
psk="xxxxxxxxxxxxx"

}
-------------------------------------------

Stephan
Last edited by feuersee on 01 Dec 2021 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Bullseye is now supported. Please follow the standard installation process.

Read more: https://forum.z-wave.me/viewtopic.php?p=91811#p91811
Wavezoid

Post by Wavezoid »

feuersee wrote:
28 Nov 2021 11:58
maybe it helps, i'm now happy with a clean install (Raspy3) and wlan working:
I can't thank you enough for this! This is brilliant and it is working perfectly. I spent a LOT of time trying to get Wifi to work and it was MUCH more complicated and didn't work as well as this.

I have no idea how you came up with this solution, but I'm really happy you posted it.

This should be a sticky at the top of the forum.

One question. You said to 'insert to empty file: /etc/network/interfaces'. My 'interfaces' file wasn't empty and had one line that wasn't commented out:

source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

I just pasted your contents below that line and everything seems to work. Is this correct?

Thanks again!