Z-Way migration

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
lanbrown

Z-Way migration

Post by lanbrown »

So I have five Raspberry Pi 4B's with the Razberry 7 Pro boards, then I have a Ubuntu VM with the Z-Way software. I'm using the "Link other Z-Way controller" on the Ubuntu to aggregate the five Rasberry Pi's into a single management interface. The issue I have discovered is at times, the Ubuntu instance is not getting updated; if restart Z-Way or reboot the Ubuntu VM, it will work again for a few days and then stop again. So I was going to migrate it to a spare Rasberry Pi 4B that I have. I tried to perform a backup on the Ubuntu and then restore it to the Raspberry Pi, but it fails. I tried to copy the entire /opt/z-way-server directory from the Ubuntu to the Raspberry Pi and then re-run the installation again. That didn't work, I got a lot of errors in the GUI and at times, the page could not be displayed errors. So how does one migrate from one platform from another? I was hoping that the backup and restore would work, but it did not. I have no Z-Wave devices on the Ubuntu system, it just aggregates the five systems and runs some of the apps. So there is no network backup under the Expert interface that is required.
PoltoS

Re: Z-Way migration

Post by PoltoS »

The backup should work. If it does not, you can show us and we check it.
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

Is there a specific log that you need? I can try again tomorrow. I'm trying this on a Raspberry Pi 4 Compute module with 8GB of RAM. I decided to make a few changes and the new parts will arrive tomorrow. I'm going to add the PoE HAT so the system is PoE powered. To get rid of the error about no Z-Wave (even when the Z-Wave integration is disabled and deleted) I'll add a Razberry 2 that I have sitting around. I need to get an adapter so I can install the PoE HAT and Razberry 2 at the same time and fit in the enclosure.

Down the road I want to move this a Turing Pi V2 when they release it since I have a need for a Nvidia Jetson to run deepstack. I was going to then have another Compute Module 4 to run Home Assistant on.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Better access to the UI
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

Tomorrow after it is online again I will try it. I believe the Ubuntu instance didn't have remote support as an option (zbw), that exists on the Raspberry Pi. I'll try the restore again and if it fails, I'll put the restore file on the system and provide you via PM the info.