Z-Wave capable smart garage opener?

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
alexis92

Z-Wave capable smart garage opener?

Post by alexis92 »

Hi, I've been using this forum to research and learn about Z-wave before making my foray into it, and I was looking for help with a question I had.

One of my intended uses with Z-wave would be to control a smart garage opener in addition to my Alexa, so I've been looking into the best option for Z-wave smart garage openers. However, I'm still pretty new to this so I would appreciate some help deciding what would be the right choice.

Of course, I'm not asking without having done any prior research - I have looked at buyer's guides online for potential options. This one lists the GoControl Z-Wave Garage Opener as the best option for Z-wave. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on that, or maybe any other recommendations?

Thanks for any help!
lanbrown

Re: Z-Wave capable smart garage opener?

Post by lanbrown »

This doesn't answer your question directly. I have Z-Way for Z-Wave devices and use the Home Assistant integration and on Home Assistant I use the My Q integration. So I have the ability to create rules and schedules without having to rely on Z-Wave. The biggest issue with Z-Wave is that at times encryption causes issues and Silicon Labs has a lot of work to do in getting things to work perfectly. Since my garage door opened (both of them) were already My Q compatible, it was fairly easy to integrate in without any changes. I can also use their app to open and close the garage doors if need be.

For reference this is for Qubino devices when I inquired about some Z-Wave issues.
The newer version is the 71.00 (7.1) the change that could solve the issue of the unresponsive device could be in the S0 inclusion. In case you include the device with the S0 secure inclusion this could be the reason. We did find that the S0 security was giving us issues and for that we decide to remove it. If you're using he S0 secure inclusion we recommend to include it without secure S0 inclusion and the relay should work without dropping off.
So rather than getting encryption to work, they just decided to remove it. Things like locks and openers should be using encryption and I just don't trust Z-Wave with that based upon past history.
alexis92

Re: Z-Wave capable smart garage opener?

Post by alexis92 »

Sorry for the really late reply, life came at me fast and I forgot I ever posted this question. Thanks for the detailed answer! Unfortunately I ended up scrapping the idea because of other more urgent expenses I needed to cover at the time, but judging by the removal of encryptions from Z-Wave, I may have even dodged a bullet there!