Razberry2 on Pi4 with Ubuntu

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
LotF

Razberry2 on Pi4 with Ubuntu

Post by LotF »

Hi,

I am a bit confused how to install the Razberry2 board correctly. I am pretty new to linux, so sorry if this should be a no brainer for a lot of people...
I tried the wget command for Raspberry Pi, but get the message that the distribution, which I am running, is not supported. Now the only other download is for ubuntu but x64 and I am running ARM, am I not? I tried to use wget to get the deb file on my system and then apt/dpk
g command for installation and at least the last one tells me it's for AMD64 and not ARM64. So... what now? I don't find the manual very well for beginners. Thanks and best regards!
lanbrown

Re: Razberry2 on Pi4 with Ubuntu

Post by lanbrown »

This has been previously discussed. Currently Z-Way is 32-bit only. So the easiest solution is to install Raspbian 32-bit. Then you can install Z-way.

You can use 64-bit Raspbian but you will need to make sure you have the 32-bit packages installed that Z--way requires. You're on you own if you go down this path. I did in the past, I did get it to work but overall, it was more trouble than it is worth. 64-bit is not getting you anything. Files are not that large in Z-Way. There is already extensions added into Raspbian so more than 4GB of RAM can be used. Processes in Z-Way also do not exceed the 32-bit limits. All of my systems are Raspberry 4B's with 8GB of RAM and all of them are only using around 512MB of memory or less. So for right now; 64-bit isn't getting you anything. They are working on a 64-bit version of Z-Way.

Here are the Z-Way install directions:
https://z-wave.me/z-way/download-z-way/
LotF

Re: Razberry2 on Pi4 with Ubuntu

Post by LotF »

Thanks for your comment. I did check the install directions (and to be honest, they are horrible!)

And no, it is not the easiest way to install Raspbian 32 bit. I am using ubuntu and have several dockers installed already and are about to install more. A reinstall is not an option just to use Z-Way. But I was thinking: do I need that? As far as I understood, I don't, because I could use something else to get it working in Homeassistant.

I came across another problem though: When I tried to figure out the serial port to use in the docker-compose: The GOIP pins of the Razberry use the same serial port as bluetooth (if I can say that this way...). You have to change something in the config file, turn off bluetooth etc. As I said, I wished a way better documentation on all of this. Now, I would like to keep Bluetooth since the new Homeassistant apperently offers some integrations with it. Hence, I am thinking about getting another Z-Wave Module or rather stick. Or just simply screw z-wave and switch the only 5 controlers I have to zigbee as well (which probably is the easiest solution to be honest!).