Advice on Upgrading

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
the wife

Advice on Upgrading

Post by the wife »

I've been controlling my central heating (and a few other things) with Z-Wave.me since 2015.
I have the RaZberry PI GPIO Daughter Card - Gen5, and I'm running Z-Way version 2.2.3.

I run a customized version of the Z-Way service, having adapted a couple of the core files to include my own REST interface (WebserverRequestRouter.js and ZAutomationAPIProvider.js) for use with my own Android App.

In addition I run some custom modules that I wrote.

This has worked great for the past 7 years, so I've been reluctant to change anything.
However, I miss the Alexa skill and the new one requires an upgrade of Z-Way version to at least v3.0.3. So, I would like to upgrade.

I have 2 choices:
Option 1. upgrade my existing raspberry pi setup to the latest Z-Way version OR
Option 2. buy a UZB1 and run Z-Way on my home server (Ubuntu based)

If I go with Option 1, is my existing hardware new enough to run the latest version of Z-Way? Are there likely to be any complications?

If I go with Option 2, can I transfer my existing Z-Way license to use with the UZB stick instead of the raspberry pi board? Or will I have to purchase a new license?
Will the UZB stick have better range / performance than my existing raspberry pi board?

For both cases, will I still have access and be able to adapt the files mentioned above? And can I include my custom module in the same way as before?

Any other advice?
Thanks.
micky1500

Re: Advice on Upgrading

Post by micky1500 »

If its not broken don't change it. You want Alexa though. (Didn't know that needed 3.x)
PI GPIO Daughter Card - Gen5 is still compatible with 3.2.3, and 4.0.0
You will need to upgrade your PI to Buster or newer.
You don't need a licence with a z-way board. UZB is different and you need to buy a Licence.
4.0 is due soon, wait for that !
Also, your custom modules are backward compatible, No guarantee with that though.
Raspi 4 - (Buster - 32 Bit) Zwave Version 4.1.1, Raz 7 Pro, Serial API Version: 07.38
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

micky1500 is right, if it work, keep it.

You have two options:
1) run another Z-Way server on another Pi, import devices in that one and then grant them to Alexa. This is even for free.
2) upgrade your Pi and use the new Z-Way. In that case you can make a clone of the SD card to keep the old backup

Of course 3.2.3/4.0.0 is compatible with Gen 5, but the new Razberry 7 Pro is much much better in terms of the range.

As for your changed files. You can use Git to always keep your modifications and get updates from us. All the JS files are here: https://github.com/Z-Wave-Me/home-automation - make your for and have fun modifying it.

But I would suggest to make own apps instead and even uplaod them to https://developer.z-wave.me (you can publish them or keep them hidden)
the wife

Post by the wife »

Thanks micky1500

>>If its not broken don't change it.
Absolutely. But I miss Alexa - mainly as a switch to turn the pump on for my hot water delivery.

>>Didn't know that needed 3.x
I only noticed today that a new Alexa ZWay skill had appeared. But when I went to enable it there was a note
Your Z-Way version should be v3.0.3 or upper!
I did try, but I couldn't link my account.

It's a while since I touched any of this stuff, so I may need to do some homework.

>>4.0 is due soon, wait for that !
Ah, that's a good point.
the wife

Post by the wife »

Thanks PoltoS

I think for now I will do as you suggest, clone my pi's SD card and upgrade everything.

And I'll fork your code from git this time. Most of my functionality is in my own app, I think it was just routing I tacked on to your code. I doubt my app would be useful to anyone else as it's very specific to my setup.

Going forwards, I am quite interested in the Razberry 7 Pro. In the early days I did have range issues which I fixed with several repeaters strategically positioned around the house.

Would the Pi solution with the Razberry 7 Pro still be a better option than the UZB stick on my home server?

Thanks.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

For sure, RaZberry 7 Pro is twice or even thrice better in range!

You can connect the RaZberry via USB-to-UART adaptor to a PC. Not nice, but it works. Also, we will have a new USB device with a super antenna in Q1.
the wife

Post by the wife »

Thanks. Exactly the information I needed.