Z-way-server occasionally goes down

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
JohannesF

Re: Z-way-server occasionally goes down

Post by JohannesF »

@Ianbrown: Have you considered adding a UPS shield to the raspberry?

It goes without saying that for such sensitive applications like home automation only the most reliable power supplies must be used.
The vast majority of my pi system crashes (other than the just z-way) did not result from power supply issues but were hand crafted :oops:
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

JohannesF wrote:
16 Jan 2023 22:51
@Ianbrown: Have you considered adding a UPS shield to the raspberry?

It goes without saying that for such sensitive applications like home automation only the most reliable power supplies must be used.
The vast majority of my pi system crashes (other than the just z-way) did not result from power supply issues but were hand crafted :oops:
Yes but it gets really ugly pretty quick. Take a Raspberry Pi 4B, add on the PoE module and then the Razberry 7 Pro board and you already have two HAT's on the Raspberry Pi. Adding in a UPS HAT brings that up to three HAT's. The only one I really liked was from a company in Europe so I would have to buy it from an overseas seller. Then they had a ton of different options and it got a bit confusing.

The CM4 solution is a carrier board that has PoE built-in as well as the UPS function. There is even a hole in the case for the antenna for WiFi/BT but I'm not using the CM4 modules that have wireless so the hole is used for the Razpberry 7 Pro antenna. The CM4 solution has another advantage over using a 4B.....this carrier board has a NVME slot. So the CM4 is booting off a 500GB NVME drive, so no more MicroSD card. Performing software updates is far faster as is booting. The NVME I'm using is designed for a NAS, they have a 5 year warranty and are good for .7 DWPD. So 500GB x .7 = 350GB the drive can be written every day. So in terms of longevity I think this is the more preferred solution. I can just set it and forget it (especially now that since this ugly bug appears to have been taken care of.)
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

For me it is three days uptime for the z-way-server process:

Code: Select all

● z-way-server.service - LSB: RaZberry Z-Wave service
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/z-way-server; generated)
    Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/z-way-server.service.d
             └─override.conf
     Active: active (running) since Fri 2023-01-13 16:22:37 CST; 3 days ago
       Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
    Process: 22668 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/z-way-server start (code=exited, statu>
      Tasks: 14 (limit: 4915)
        CPU: 2d 12h 43min 9.531s
     CGroup: /system.slice/z-way-server.service
             └─22673 z-way-server

Jan 13 16:22:37 srvlatx-zway-core-1 systemd[1]: Starting LSB: RaZberry Z-Wave s>
Jan 13 16:22:37 srvlatx-zway-core-1 z-way-server[22668]: Starting z-way-server:>
Jan 13 16:22:37 srvlatx-zway-core-1 systemd[1]: Started LSB: RaZberry Z-Wave se>
According to monit:

Uptime	3d 0h 53m
alphons

Post by alphons »

What command should I use to install the patch?
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

alphons wrote:
17 Jan 2023 08:05
What command should I use to install the patch?
Do you have the crashing issue? If you don't, then you probably shouldn't be using a nightly build. There is a reason why you can't upgrade to it from the GUI, it isn't an official production release. It also probably doesn't go through a QA check like a normal release does as well. They provided it because some users were running into the crashing bug and the only way Z-Wave.me would know if the bug is squashed or not would be for the people who had the crashing issue run it. Could new bugs or other undesired "features" be accidentally added? Yes. For us that had the issue, it is worth the risk as when it crashes, we don't have a running HA system until we restart the process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_build

I would normally never use a nightly build on a production system. Having a system crash sometimes multiple times per day, the reward outweighs the risk.

You can find the link to it from where the Z-Way builds are listed.
alphons

Post by alphons »

I shouldn’t have upgraded from the official v3 to official v4 is all I can say. :D
GokMasE

Post by GokMasE »

alphons wrote:
17 Jan 2023 09:06
I shouldn’t have upgraded from the official v3 to official v4 is all I can say. :D
The bug that affects async http requests was very much present in v3 too, so upgrading to v4 should not have changed anything in that regard at least.
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

GokMasE wrote:
17 Jan 2023 13:08
alphons wrote:
The bug that affects async http requests was very much present in v3 too, so upgrading to v4 should not have changed anything in that regard at least.
They have other issues with 4.x which this latest build isn't going to address.
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

alphons wrote:
If you want to go back to 3.2.3 then you should backup the Z-Way directory that is currently running 4.x as well as perform a backup from within Z-Way. See this post for what directories:
https://forum.z-wave.me/viewtopic.php?p=97465#p97465

Then this should put 3.2.3 back on your system.

wget -qO - https://storage.z-wave.me/z-way-server/z-way-3.2.3-lws16_armhf.deb  | sudo bash
JohannesF

Post by JohannesF »

No z-way-server issues whatsoever since Friday. Yeah! Soooo happy!

I had one complete raspi system crash which I do not attribute to the HTTP issue or any other Z-way malfunction. It was certainly me who screwed the system up.
And today I've tried to modify the log level in /opt/z-way-server/config.xml by changing from 2 to 0 to have full debugging info.
In parallel I have deleted the current log file with the result that no new file has been created. No logging at all.
After a reboot the system started to build and fill the log file. Again, nothing related to the issue we've been discussing here.