Virtualization

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
lanbrown

Virtualization

Post by lanbrown »

So there has been posts about Z-Way and virtualization.

I do have a spare system, not really a spare as it will be used in the future. I was going to use this to try out a few virtualization options. My systems are not using MicroSD cards though, but an NVME drive. I'm using the CM4 and not a Raspberry Pi 4B and the carrier board has GPIO pins, an NVME slot, PoE support built-in (you don't need the PoE HAT) and a "UPS" that has three 18650 battery slots.

Some people also run Home Assistant which uses Docker. I'm not too familiar with Docker. So I'm not sure how feasible or supportable. By that I mean, you have Docker being controlled by Home Assistant. How locked down or if a future update to Home Assistant would cause issues. I do have a "Dev" system where all updates go first and validated before being rolled out to my "Prod" systems. There are advantages to a Docker system though. Pretty lightweight for one.

Another option is VMware. This would allow Z-Way to run natively under Linux and Home Assistant under their Raspberry Pi image using Docker. I believe this setup would be a bit more complicated to setup but supportability would be higher. The guides show multiple storage options being used; one for VMware and one for the VM's. I believe that this could be combined into a single storage option as this can be done on actual servers unless it is something to do with the ARM version of VMware. That would be surprising though.

Lastly there is PiMox (Proxmox for the Raspberry Pi). No experience with this at all. Supportability could be an issue. The last update was six months ago. So either it is very stable and updates aren't needed or there is not a lot of development going on.

What would really be nice. Docker support and for integration into Home Assistant it would just be a container on the same host. The integration would also be different and it would be more like the Z-Wave JS integration. It could use Z-Way for the backend but have more direct access into Home Assistant.
PoltoS

Re: Virtualization

Post by PoltoS »

Why Docker (HA add-on) is not an option for you?

https://github.com/Z-Wave-Me/ha-z-wave-me-addon
lanbrown

Re: Virtualization

Post by lanbrown »

I never saw that one. I think I will test this out.