I give up !

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
Varazir

Re: I give up !

Post by Varazir »

Have you guy's tested other software for your RaZberry/RPi
I know it's not good manner to advice to use software from another developer.

Could be a hardware fault.

I have just had my for 2 weeks and no problems.

My setup is

Raspberry PI model A
RaZberry board
2 Greenwave Power nodes

Feels stable so far.
thaui

Post by thaui »

If I run my Vision door sensor Gen3 with my fibaro switch Gen3 I also have no problems. So 2 devices in a network. But if you implement more sensors like multilevel sensors you will get lost. Also the battery status of the door sensor was permanent wrong. I have made some tests with Domoticz and this system is also not stable enough. No 100% reliability at all.
skiv71

Post by skiv71 »

I have 30 nodes in my system, all different types of kit and the system automatically polls (where required).

With some clever coding, I've been able to keep my message queue way down... almost always below 20, most of the time, 10 or less, quite often only a few messages :)

Some nodes can be troublesome, I'm not really sure of the source issue though.

I have many StellaZ TRV and every now again, the device will have wrong interview data (quite randomly), showing data which simply doesn't exist.

If I re-interview, all comes good again.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

skiv71 wrote:With some clever coding, I've been able to keep my message queue way down... almost always below 20, most of the time, 10 or less, quite often only a few messages :)
I reamain puzzled about your solution. Have you published that software somewhere, so the users here can learn from it?
skiv71

Post by skiv71 »

The software is my code that runs the BMS Link back end and interacts with the z-way server.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

skiv71 wrote:The software is my code that runs the BMS Link back end and interacts with the z-way server.
So you are essentially providing a cloud service that runs Z-Way 1.7.0-rc3 to which users can subscribe?
skiv71

Post by skiv71 »

No, its a downloadable VM guest that communicates with multiple tech's (i.e. z-wave, rfxcom and wifi link).

The VM guest run's the BMS Link, which presents itself to the end user via the web interface (as per my instance).

Of course, user's can customise their systems to work how they see fit :)

An it's free :)
pz1

Post by pz1 »

Thanks sofar. One more question: does the system rely on a live continuous connection to bmslink. Or in other words are the 'satellite clients still functioning if the internet connection goes down?
skiv71

Post by skiv71 »

The system is hosted and run's as a standalone system on their LAN, typically on a 24/7 PC (mine's a headless common server).

It does not rely on any external services to run and control your dominion :)

Any external access (assuming you want that) can be enabled in the system area, which then use's UPnP to open the web port via your routers NAT.

If you don't have any external DNS in place, I provide a dns prefix of your choosing (i.e. pz1.bmslink.co.uk) and the system automatically keeps it up to date
Pokerfjes

Post by Pokerfjes »

I registered just so say the same - I so give up. Bought the razberry board today, played around with z-way for 3 hours now maybe. Devices are clearly picked up by the controller (z-way-server.log tells), but when adding devices, step2 inclusion just won't proceed. But Fibar group elements appear, providing accurate information as well as alowing me to turn my fibaro switch on and off. But don't let me get into troubleshooting - this is so counter-productive. This thing goes.

Oh he's a complete n00b you probably think. Well - had my automation fun with X10, and I'm a network engineer through 20 years who installed my first slackware (kernel 0.94pl14) a very long time ago. I've been at the very edge of IT since I got into it, and while I'm just the guy that probably could get used to Z-way and it's quirks - I just don't have the time and interest to be an alpha-tester anymore.

Maybe my reaction is premature, maybe I'll regret. But I'll nail my Razberry to the wall and go buy Vera or something. Maybe they did their homework. Maybe Z-way eventually can be used in a few years.

Good luck.