ml_zway

I2C / GPIO PINS used by RaZberry

Post by ml_zway »

Hello,

I have the following setup (shown vertically):

RaZberry 7 Pro
Waveshare UPS HAT
Rasberry Pi 3

So the RaZberry is connected to the UPS HAT which sits on top of the Pi. The RaZberry appears to use pins 1-10.

I used https://z-wave.me/z-way/download-z-way/ for the OS and Z-Way software,

The Pi, UPS and RaZberry all appear to be working fine - but in order to install the UPS HAT I had to set I2C ->yes to start the i2C kernel driver.

Would that have caused any issues ? Does the Razberry know pins 3 and 5 are set to use I2C (I assume by the above) ? Perhaps it needs them in I2C too - but would there be any communication conflict between the RaZberry and the UPS HAT given they would both use pins 3 and 5.

Further, if power is lost, the UPS HAT takes over, and if the power cut is long, when the Pi detects the batteries are <30% it does a soft shutdown to prevent SD card corruption.

The problem is when the power comes back on, there is nothing that restarts the Pi (the UPS hat had always provided power, even when the Pi was shutdown, so the Pi never sees the power go off and on which is the only thing that would cause a reboot).

I have another separate device that I could use to remotely and briefly (1 second) short PINS 5 and 6 which would cause the Pi to restart in this circumstance, but would that cause issues given that PIN 5 is in I2C mode (presumably) ?

Sorry for the complexity, I hope I've explained it clearly.
PoltoS

Re: I2C / GPIO PINS used by RaZberry

Post by PoltoS »

No, pins 3 and 5 are not used by the RaZberry 7. It uses only GND (pins 6/9), UART (pins 8 & 10) and 3V (pin 1)
ml_zway

Post by ml_zway »

Hi,

Thanks - that's good to know.

Just to check, aren't the UART PINS 8 and 10 ?

Regards
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

You are right. I wrote GPIO pin #. Changed my post