Why do different devices use same Z-Way data path?

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
kambis

Why do different devices use same Z-Way data path?

Post by kambis »

When I look in my z-way-server log file I can find entries of different devices updating same path in the Z-Way data subtree:
20140701 - logfile.png
20140701 - logfile.png (16.44 KiB) Viewed 11508 times
Devices.12 is a Flood Sensor (FGFS-101) from Fibaro and
Devices.16 is the Key Fob2 from Z-Wave.me

Both are included in the network but none of them have any associations.

When device 12 detects water, this results into the log entries: lines 1 to 6
When device 12 detects no water flood, this results into the log entries: lines 7 to 12

These two events are stored on the controller in the path:
  • devices.1.instances.1.commandClasses.32.data --> srcNodeId, srcInstanceId & level
Now when device 16 sends the "Key #1 pressed" notification to the controller, the lines 13 to 18 appear in the logfile. Z-Way data model is storing different events from different devices into the same data subtree path.

Who knows anything about the concept behind this behavior :?:
pofs

Re: Why do different devices use same Z-Way data path?

Post by pofs »

Seems both your devices are configured to send Basic Set if something happens.

Typically a device has one or more association groups for different purposes.
For example, your KeyFob has 4 of them, one for each button. When a button is pressed, it sends configured command (Basic Set, or other configured command) to devices in corresponding group.
FGFS-101 has 3 of them, and the 1st group devices are sent Basic Set or Alarm when something happens.

It seems your RaZberry is included into association groups of your devices, and though it is controller, it is no different from other devices for them. So when something happens, they send Basic Set to controller.

So "SETDATA devices.1.instances.1.commandClasses.32.data.level = 255" is just a basic value set on controller, and two previous lines are indicating which device has sent it.
You may configure your devices to send Basic Set to different instances of controller, or don't send them at all (send reports instead)
kambis

Post by kambis »

Thank you pofs.
In expert UI I have checked my devices if the RaZberry is included into any of the association groups or not.
All association groups are empty and no devices/controllers are listed there, but the RaZberry, which is the controller, is receiving the Basic Set data.
Does this mean that whenever you configure a device to send Basic Set, that the controller will receive the data even if the controller is not listed in the association group of the device?

And how can I configure my device (KeyFob for example) to send only reports in Basic Set?
pz1

Post by pz1 »

pofs wrote:It seems your RaZberry is included into association groups of your devices
I thought that the RaZberry is always included in the first association group of included devices. IIRC PoltoS mentioned that somewhere. As a matter of fact my devices (I think all) are if I look under the expert commands.
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
pofs

Post by pofs »

pz1 wrote:
pofs wrote:It seems your RaZberry is included into association groups of your devices
I thought that the RaZberry is always included in the first association group of included devices. IIRC PoltoS mentioned that somewhere. As a matter of fact my devices (I think all) are if I look under the expert commands.
Yes, but association group 1 is not always the group it should be included in. For example, FGFS-101 has assoc group 3 for reports, not 1.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

pofs wrote:Yes, but association group 1 is not always the group it should be included in. For example, FGFS-101 has assoc group 3 for reports, not 1.
Thanks.
This makes Z-Wave such a nice standard :mrgreen:
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
pofs

Post by pofs »

pz1 wrote:This makes Z-Wave such a nice standard :mrgreen:
Well, like parameters, these are all manufacturer-specific things.

EDIT
Here's an update.
Actually RaZberry is automatically included into all association groups if there's no ZWave+ support.
But if device supports MultiChannel associations, it is included only into MC assoc groups, not into simple ones.
So sometimes it is still needed to adjust group membership.
kambis

Post by kambis »

wow, lot of under-the-hood stuff!
The picture is now also clear to me and I could verify and understand all your points mentioned.
Thank you pofs and pz1. the discussion solved several questions I had.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Hope this is solved, but just in case also have a look on MultiChannelAssociation in Expert Tab
kambis

Post by kambis »

After studying all provided information in this post I was able to create my own automation userModule and solve my problem discussed in this post. More data is available in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=3424&t=20528