No ACK received before timeout

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
pz1

Re: No ACK received before timeout

Post by pz1 »

You are right I should have mentioned 'Active' Apps
Those settings are OK for the Razberry extension card.

I can think of two more things to look at
- How did you setup the SD card for your Pi? Did you follow the standard recipe from the Razberry site.
- A screendump from ExpertUI menu Network/Controller Info may help. A dump of "Role in Network" - "UI version" is sufficinet to compare with my RaZberry installation.

There could quite well be a problem with your RaZberry. I have seen many reports before, but haven't heard much about it in the last half year or so.

PS: As an other reference, you may have a look at my SDCard configuration. (See my signature). Don't look at the Options, those aren't yet extensively tested, and also not necessary for the basics to work.
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
tanuva

Post by tanuva »

I (almost) followed the instructions from that page for setup - I installed plain Raspbian first and then the Z-Way software via the installer script mentioned there.
The Controller Info is included in my initial post. It shows nothing suspicious to me - the controller is the only one and has primary role/capability.
Thanks for your help anyway, now I at least know I didn't miss something obvious to an experienced user. I think I'll just switch the Razberry out for a replacement and hope that works in the end.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

tanuva wrote:I think I'll just switch the Razberry out for a replacement and hope that works in the end.
Good luck with it. If your supplier has no solution, do mail to info@z-Wave.me for support, just like customers from Qubino and Fibaro products are suggested here to contact those manufacturers in case of problems.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

I see strange console=serial0,115200 in kernel params - please remove it.

Do you use normal Raspbian? Or is it some other distro?

If all this does not help, please try to replace the board.

But if you have USB<->UART TTL 3v, it is pretty easy to test if RaZberry is alive - send commands and see if it replies.
tanuva

Post by tanuva »

Sorry, I need to say it like this: oh my gawd! Thanks all of you who helped sorting this out.

Removing the "console=serial0,.." part from cmdline.txt solved the communication problem. Why didn't I try that right away? (Because I searched the web for 'serial0' and couldn't come up with anything useful telling me what that device does, exactly...)

I suppose it would be useful to include this in the installer script by default. Looks like newer Kernels (or Debians. or Raspbians.) use /dev/serial0 instead of /dev/ttyAMA0 for the serial console - but still at least disturb the Pi's UART thereby.
onepoket

Post by onepoket »

Omg, 4 years later and this was my issue too, removed console=serial0.. and everything started working.

The weird part for me was, I got a test device working and was able to turn it on and off using homebridge -> homekit. When I went to put that device where it would live and the PI where it would live nothing worked. So, not sure how my test worked when the com to the board was goofy.

But, working now, so I'm pumped to get away from Wink since their subscription service totally blows.
stefan_sh

Post by stefan_sh »

I have this same identical problem, specifically

Code: Select all

Opened device: /dev/ttyAMA0
Job 0x07 (Get controller info and supported function classes): No ACK received before timeout
Job 0x07 (Get controller info and supported function classes) dropped: too many resends
Job 0x07 (Get controller info and supported function classes): fail
Error: Bad data - communication failed
Tried 5 times without success. Stopping tries.
Notification: critical (z-wave): Cannot start Z-Wave binding: Error: Bad data - communication failed
Raspberry Pi 3B+
Fresh install of SD card image from https://razberry.z-wave.me/z-way-server ... ry.img.zip

Verified entries in /boot/config.txt
dtoverlay=pi3-miniuart-bt
enable_uart=1

Verified /boot/cmdline.txt
console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=6c586e13-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait

Verified that RaZberry card lights go on for one second (then off) on boot.

Verified that the serial Rx/Tx pins are functioning correctly on /dev/ttyAMA0 by doing a loopback test.

Tried shutting down the OS, disconnecting power, waiting 15 minutes. Tried this several times.

I also tried the same thing on Rpi4 and Raspberry Pi Zero W, both with the same results.

I think my board is bad. Full log attached.
Attachments
z-way-server-pi3.zip
(158.12 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Try USB-to-Serial with the RaZberry - will it send data on power on? Connect it to the Pi and change the port to your USB-to-Serial port