Can door sensor trigger audio on Raspberry Pi

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
highspeedz

Can door sensor trigger audio on Raspberry Pi

Post by highspeedz »

Can I use the Z-Wave Smart Home software to trigger an audio sound on the pi itself. I am using razberry on the raspberry pi. Currently the door opening will trigger the doorbell, but I would like to have the pi itself make a sound. Can this be done from the GUI? If not, is there another way?
highspeedz

Re: Can door sensor trigger audio on Raspberry Pi

Post by highspeedz »

If no one knows an answer to the above question.. than perhaps another question would be what is a common thing to link the door sensor to. I am looking for an audible indication that the door has been opened.
the wife

Post by the wife »

Not sure this would be the best way, but I have just tried it and it worked on my pi.

At the trigger point, you could do a system call such as this:

Code: Select all

system("omxplayer /opt/z-way-server/automation/siren.mp3");
On my pi, omxplayer was there by default but I do not know whether it is standard or whether it is the best way of playing sounds. siren.mp3 is just a test file I copied to the directory.

In order for any system call to work you need to add the command to .syscommands in /opt/z-way-server/automation. This is a hidden file.

I tried this from the UI 'Load JavaScript Code' app, binding to a switch value and it was triggered successfully. And it works from my own custom module. It is not something I have done before, so I do not know whether there are any pitfalls but I hope it is of help.
highspeedz

Post by highspeedz »

Thanks for the response. I was able to get the sound to play from the command line. Can you show me the code you put in the "Load Custom Java Script" App.. Thanks.
highspeedz

Post by highspeedz »

I ended up doing this...which seems close..but no sound..

zway.devices[1].instances[0].commandClasses[32].data.level.bind(function() {  
   if (this.value = 255)  

debugPrint("Executing trigger",this.value);  
     system('"/usr/bin/omxplayer /opt/z-way-server/automation/siren.mp3"');  
 });  

the wife

Post by the wife »

My code was very similar, binding to a binarySwitch level though and I called omxplayer without the full path, which worked.

I just tried your system call on its own and I didn't get sound. When I checked the log file (/var/log/z-way-server.log the error was "This command is denied by policy" which usually means that the command is not in .syscommands

I think it is the single quote followed by double quote causing the issue. Maybe you were adding the whole expression to .syscommands?

system("/usr/bin/omxplayer /opt/z-way-server/automation/siren.mp3");
does work for me, but only after I added /usr/bin/omxplayer to .syscommands and restarted z-way-server.
highspeedz

Post by highspeedz »

OK.,.thanks..I will try tonight when I am back at the razberry.. Another problem is that I didn't realize I just needed "/usr/bin/omxplayer" ... I put the whole command in there.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

the wife wrote:

system("/usr/bin/omxplayer /opt/z-way-server/automation/siren.mp3");
I fear that the mp3 will not survive a ZWay update. Directory

/opt/z-way-server/automation/storage
is not affected by the update mechanism. (There is some discussion about a special user directory, but I have not seen that one yet)
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
highspeedz

Post by highspeedz »

Not sure what I am doing wrong...when I use the code above...when I trigger the door sensor...the javascript gets in an infinite loop. It keeps executing over and over again...not sure what I am doing wrong.
highspeedz

Post by highspeedz »

OK...changed (this.value = 255) to (this.value == 255) that fixed it. Thanks for the help!