2.3.8 Very Stable, but HomeKit not perfect

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
Spirit78

2.3.8 Very Stable, but HomeKit not perfect

Post by Spirit78 »

I think that this stable as it is now, it has never been.
But the problem with broken SD-cards is still a problem. I have to change after about 6 months, and that´s becoming a cost I don´t want to have.

Is there a good solution to make the pi/z-way to do some of the writing to a USB-stick or NAS instead? I believe it has something with the amount of writing to the SD-card to do, and know it is a well known problem.

And connection to HomeKit seems a bit better too. Not perfect but on its way.
It seems that for example "Virtual Rain sensor" is supported but looses it after a while. Same with Weather Conditions like WetherUnder ground, it can also work for a while, but fail later. They become "not supported", even though they have been working for several days.

It is also a problem with HomeKit that it fails when you add a new device to the z-wave network or make any changes as names on them.
And if you make a reboot on AppleTv and/or iPad it almost always fail the whole connection. And when that happens you have to do delete home and reconnect it and start all over from the beginning in HomeKit.
Before it always failed when rebooting ATV/iPad, but now, not always.

And if you delete it, you have to change name in HomeKit-app/Z-way app, in both "Name" and "Name as it apears in HomeKit

But you are on the right way :)
PoltoS

Re: 2.3.8 Very Stable, but HomeKit not perfect

Post by PoltoS »

V3.0 will be even better. We have improved stability.

As for HomeKit, we are also improving it. Hope we finish before v3.0.0. may be v3.1
pierre2302

Post by pierre2302 »

Hello,

For SD card problems, I advise you to use a hard disk.
" Raspi 2 (RaZberry) / Raspi B (Razberry) " With OpenRemote Free 2.2.0_TTS-Email-Serial and Z-Way
Spirit78

Post by Spirit78 »

Thanks

I look forward to 3.0.

How do I use a HDD to it? How and what do I point to the HDD?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

I use a very good SD card for about 5 years and never had problems with it. Don't by cheap crappy cards. You can also make logging less intense - this will help to keep the card working better
pierre2302

Post by pierre2302 »

Start with a sd card that contains the system.
Plug the hard drive into USB and then from the command line on the raspberry follow these steps :

Step 1. Identify the drive

$ lsblk

Step 2. Create the partitions " Create primary partition swap 900 MB / create primary partition ext4 ((eg 10GB))"

$ sudo cfdisk /dev/sda

Step 3. copy mcklb0p2 to sda2

$ sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p2 of=/dev/sda2 bs=512

Step 4. Define partition swap

$ sudo mkswap /dev/sda1

Step 5. Mount the partition sda2

$ sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt

Step 6. Edit /mnt/etc/fstab/ "as below"

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot vfat defaults 0 2
#/dev/mmcblk0p2 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
/dev/sda2 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
# a swapfile is not a swap partition, so no using swapon|off from here on, use dphys-swapfile swap[on|off] for that
/dev/sda1 swap swap defaults 0 0

Step 7. Edit /boot/cmdline.txt

replace : root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 by root=/dev/sda2

Step 8. $ sudo resize2fs /dev/sda2

Step 9. $ sudo reboot

The raspberry will still need the SD card for boot then it will switch to the hard drive (To see for the raspberry 3).
Last edited by pierre2302 on 27 Jan 2019 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
" Raspi 2 (RaZberry) / Raspi B (Razberry) " With OpenRemote Free 2.2.0_TTS-Email-Serial and Z-Way
Spirit78

Post by Spirit78 »

Polto: I have only used Sandisks class 10 SD cards resent, and have tried Sony class 10, and some other cheaper cards. But I dont find any difference ;)
Right now I have Sundisk for the 3 or 4:th time

pierre2302: Wow, thanks, i will try some day when I manage to gather some strenght :lol:
Must fix a HDD too first

Is it too slow to do it against a NAS over network? And problems with NAS energysleep and such?
Spirit78

Post by Spirit78 »

A few things:

1. If I point it to USB as you describe, is an .img backup of the SD-card able to fully recover z-way if SD-card crashes?

2. If USB-Disk fails, what happens then, is it just to swap to another USB-disk? Does z-way halt during USB-crash?

3. If I want to switch back to SD-card, is it just to do the reversed order in your great description?
pierre2302

Post by pierre2302 »

A few things:

1. If I point it to USB as you describe, is an .img backup of the SD-card able to fully recover z-way if SD-card crashes?

If you make an image of the SD card it will not be too much interest because we use only the boot partition of it.
Or make an image before flipping to the hard drive.

2. If USB-Disk fails, what happens then, is it just to swap to another USB-disk? Does z-way halt during USB-crash?

If the hard disk fails it is the complete system that crashes since the system partition is on the hard disk.

3. If I want to switch back to SD-card, is it just to do the reversed order in your great description?

If you use the command "sudo resize2fs /dev/sda2" you will not be able to return to the SD because this will extend the size of filesystems..
( To return on the SD card it is necessary tried but without using this command beforehand, or then the partition of the hard disk should not be bigger than the SD card )