Virtual Node behavior

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
brianaker

Virtual Node behavior

Post by brianaker »

First of all, I do realize that virtual nodes created by bridge controllers in a network where z-way is the primary controller are supported in a minimal way. That being said,...

I noticed the following tonight when running a network reorganization from the z-way advanced menu:
22:42:29 Starting neighbours update 174 Virtual _174
22:42:29 Neighbours update failed 174 Virtual _174
Node 174 is a virtual node created by a different controller in the network ( that controller does acknowledge that my z-way controller is the primary ).

Should z-way be attempting to do a network update for a virtual node?

I wouldn't think so, and nothing in the public z-wave protocol description explicitly states that a controller should ever attempt a network update ( i.e. any/all of the usual ) on a virtual node.

Also, z-way reports a virtual node as being a "Repeater Slave" when you look at the node via Advanced->Configuration. It would be nice to see "Virtual Node" instead, since that is what the node type is referenced as in the "Z-Wave Bridge User Guide".

Cheers,
-- Brian
PoltoS

Re: Virtual Node behavior

Post by PoltoS »

Virtual nodes are not supported by Z-Way. We believe this is a pretty useless feature in Z-Wave and don't use it
brianaker

Post by brianaker »

PoltoS wrote:
09 Oct 2021 19:05
Virtual nodes are not supported by Z-Way. We believe this is a pretty useless feature in Z-Wave and don't use it
I wouldn't argue you that you should :)

What I am suggesting is that they should be properly identified in the Advanced/Expert interface and that they be skipped when running reorganization ( like any other device which doesn't support it ).
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Do you mean the case where another controller in the same network is using Virtual Nodes? In that case Z-Way has no way to differenciate them from normal nodes. This is by design.

If we are talking about virtual nodes in RaZberry/UZB, they shouldn't even be present if Z-Way is used.
davidbitton

Post by davidbitton »

PoltoS wrote:
09 Oct 2021 19:05
I have an alarm system that will do something when the system is armed; triggering a scene isn't one of them. Setting the thermostats to home and away isn't something it can do either. I thought I would have the alarm system turn on a virtual "light" that would then trigger an action in Z-Way. Can I do this?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

okay, let's clarify the terms. Z-Wave Virtual nodes are not supported, but Z-Way allows you to create and virtual device (based on a piece of code) inside the JavaScript engine. This is another concept. For example, use Dummy Device to create the "virtual light" that will be turned on.