Update Hue Module from 0.98 to 1.1

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
p_carneyrn

Update Hue Module from 0.98 to 1.1

Post by p_carneyrn »

How do I update a user module? When installed through z-way appstore I get version 0.98 beta, but on github there is a newer version. How do I replace this module without breaking the server? Thanks.
micky1500

Re: Update Hue Module from 0.98 to 1.1

Post by micky1500 »

apps are located in these folders.

\opt\z-way-server\automation\modules
or
\opt\z-way-server\automation\userModules

Take a copy of what you have now.
Overwrite them with what you have found on github.
Then restart z-way . . . sudo /etc/init.d/z-way-server restart

if it works. keep it. if not, restore from your copy. and restart again.

have fun.
Raspi 4 - (Buster - 32 Bit) Zwave Version 4.1.1, Raz 7 Pro, Serial API Version: 07.38
p_carneyrn

Post by p_carneyrn »

I tried that, but no luck. The module no longer loads. When I delete it and re-install it puts the beta version back in place. Any other suggestions?
micky1500

Post by micky1500 »

The file you need is normally called index.js
If that's not there, then is probably not written for z-way system

I Googled "zwave hue module github 1.1"
Nothing comes back near to what you say.

What is your url where you found the Github update ?

I'm using guess work here :-
you don't give out too much detail that helps !
Raspi 4 - (Buster - 32 Bit) Zwave Version 4.1.1, Raz 7 Pro, Serial API Version: 07.38
p_carneyrn

Post by p_carneyrn »

Tim Auton, who made the module, had made some updates before he abandoned the work. It can found here.

https://github.com/timauton/Hue

I replaced the whole folder which includes the en.json file in the lang folder, but it broke the module. I installed a fresh zway install on a spare pi and was able to replace the module as you suggested without a problem. I installed a back-up on to the second pi, but it reverted to 0.98. Lol. I guess in the end I can rebuild the system on the new pi and do a z-wave restore only. Oh well.
micky1500

Post by micky1500 »

I have seen that
4 years ago.
if 0.98 works why do you need to upgrade ?
p_carneyrn

Post by p_carneyrn »

There were a couple of reasons why. The first being that my z-way usually crashes at least once or twice a week. I usually have an idea of when this happens based on when the last scheduled automation fired. This is usually between midnight and 5am (but not always). I checked the logs and can not find the problem. My goal was to get rid of unused modules and update the remaining to help stabilize the system.

The second (which I have ruled out as not an option) was to use a watchdog program to reboot the pi whenever z-way stopped responding. I was hoping the updated module fixed the ‘reboot problem’. If you use the Hue module, then you know what I'm talking about. Whenever z-way is rebooted all hue lights disappear until you go to the webpage, open the module, and re-save the module. I was hoping the updated code had fixed this, but was wrong after playing with it on my second pi.

So now I’m not sure what to do next. I’m assuming I’m not the only one using this module. How do others use it? Or are most users interacting with their Hue in a different way?
micky1500

Post by micky1500 »

Yes I know z-way is not that good at trapping errors, it just shuts down.
Monit works well. Doesn't reboot the Raspberry, just re-starts z-way if it has shut down.
https://forum.z-wave.me/viewtopic.php?f ... nit#p68246

Have you proved it to be that app ?
Uninstall it, does it still crash ?
p_carneyrn

Post by p_carneyrn »

First, thank you for all your help. I don't know if it is the module or not, I'm just doing trial and error. I will definitely try Monit, but I think I have tried using http api to restart the server when it has stopped and I don't believe it worked. But I see this does it in a different way, so I will def try it. Thanks!