Bricked Razberry 7 Pro?

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
ettrigerh

Bricked Razberry 7 Pro?

Post by ettrigerh »

Hello!

I have been struggling for a couple of days with trying to get a Razberry 7 Pro running.

Did some experiments with zwavejs2MTTQ in Homeassistant.. It seems I have ended up killing my Razberry 7 Pro shield.. I tried to run the "NVM Backup and restore" option in zwavejs2MTTQ interface in Home Assistant and after I did that I could no longer add or remove any nodes..
(the operation proceeded without any error..)

Booting up again in Z-Wave.me instead looking into the Expert UI the device reported no functions anymore.. seems something is messed up..
Firmware is reported as "up to date"
I've tried to reset the controller to factory default (in Z-wave.me expert UI Controller Maintenance / Controller Factory Default)
Trying to set it into inclusion mode just results in an error..

Does anyone have any clue on how I should proceed? Is it gameover for this Raz 7 device? :cry:
Attachments
This is what I see if I try press "Start Inclusion"
This is what I see if I try press "Start Inclusion"
Result of Start Inclusion.jpg (64.48 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
This is how the Firmware section looks.. (I did previously update the firmware using this section..)
This is how the Firmware section looks.. (I did previously update the firmware using this section..)
Firmware.png (22.99 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
Capabilities of the device looks all wrong.. :(
Capabilities of the device looks all wrong.. :(
Razberry7Capabilities.png (20.62 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
PoltoS

Re: Bricked Razberry 7 Pro?

Post by PoltoS »

Looks like you erased something important using this NVM function. Let me check with the R&D. Do you have the log from zwavejs to understand what you did?
ettrigerh

Post by ettrigerh »

Sadly I don’t have any log 😓

When it stopped working in Home assistant / zwavejs2mttq I reinstalled z-way on the pi to try see if I could get it working there.. (which I didn’t)
Cycloid

Post by Cycloid »

I have the exact same issue after experiments with zwavejs2MTTQ in Homeassistant.

Did you find a fix?

Since the firmware is reported as "up to date", should we manually try to force a firmware update? If you point me to the file I can try.
seattleneil

Post by seattleneil »

Here's a possible solution (that shouldn't make the problem worse) ...

If you have a Z-Way backup (file ending in .zab made from the smarthome UI - http://[IP]:8083/smarthome/#/admin), try doing a restore and select the 'Restore Z-Wave Network' check box. With luck, the .zab backup contains the NVM data that got clobbered.

Another possible solution (that also shouldn't make the problem worse) ...
If you have a Z-Way backup (file ending in .zbk from the expert UI - http://[IP]:8083/expert/#/network/control), try doing a restore. With luck, the .zbk backup contains the NVM data that got clobbered.

If neither restore function works, hopefully @PoltoS can help.
Cycloid

Post by Cycloid »

I was able to upgrade the firmware to 7.28 but that did not help. When I try to add a node I get the following error in the log:

Code: Select all

[2022-06-24 07:37:01.611] [I] [zway] Max number of devices (1) reached
That's a good idea to try a NVM backup file but I did not create any before these issues. Just to try it I created a .zbk from this current state and tried to restore but there was no change. From the logs it appears nothing new was written, I get the same result for all Job 0x2b:

Code: Select all

[2022-06-24 07:31:31.139] [I] [zway] Job 0x2b (Write bytes to extended EEPROM): Done (data unchanged, since is identical)
Not sure what to try next.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

@ettrigerh
@Cycloid
@RogerEye1253

Please confirm you all used zwavejs2mqtt when the problem appeared.

Do you remember doing anything special?

Have you tried to power-cycle the Raspberry Pi (complete power off for 15 seconds)?

Any log from zwavejs2mqtt is appreciated.

After all, we can try to restore those capabilities, but it is important to understand what zwavejs2mqtt did wrong.
Cycloid

Post by Cycloid »

Please confirm you all used zwavejs2mqtt when the problem appeared.
Yes
Do you remember doing anything special?
Just trying the NVM backup/restore functions
Have you tried to power-cycle the Raspberry Pi (complete power off for 15 seconds)?
Yes
Any log from zwavejs2mqtt is appreciated.
Sorry no logs

@PoltoS, you mentioned we can try to restore the capabilities. How could I try that restore, do you have a non-corrupt NVM backup that I can try? Please me know the instructions, I appreciate the help.

If we are successful in restoring the controller, I'll do a better job of storing and backing up the logs in case it happens again.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Please connect it to a Pi with Z-Way installed and provide us remote access + pi password. Please send in PM or on support@z-wave.me. We will connect and investigate the issue.
swamplynx

Post by swamplynx »

Has this been fixed in the 7.28 firmware? I’m running zwave2mqtt / zwave-js: 10.3.0 and would like to turn on NVME backups on, but this post is making me a bit skittish. I’m going to take a zbk backup in Zway before enabling, bout would like to know if this is a known issue still.