about Periodical Sensor Polling setting

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
alex_tpc

about Periodical Sensor Polling setting

Post by alex_tpc »

Hello everyone,

I use Periodical Sensor Polling to automatically update the device status, but it is not working well.
螢幕擷取畫面 2022-12-07 174645.png
螢幕擷取畫面 2022-12-07 174645.png (37.43 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
But the sensor is not updated according to the Periodical Sensor Polling setting, it updates its value according to the hardware setting in the sensors.
螢幕擷取畫面 2022-12-07 174729.png
螢幕擷取畫面 2022-12-07 174729.png (53.67 KiB) Viewed 1509 times
Is it possible that the sensor will update the values according to the Periodical Sensor Polling setting?
PoltoS

Re: about Periodical Sensor Polling setting

Post by PoltoS »

The sensor has a minimal wakeup time of 4 minutes, so no.

I would suggest to disable this module and instead set up hysteresis on the sensor to report values automatically without polling. This will save sensor's battery life
alex_tpc

Post by alex_tpc »

PoltoS wrote:
07 Dec 2022 17:15
The sensor has a minimal wakeup time of 4 minutes, so no.

I would suggest to disable this module and instead set up hysteresis on the sensor to report values automatically without polling. This will save sensor's battery life
Dear PoltoS,
When I set it to 2 mins, it will update every 4 mins, and also, When I set the Periodical Sensor Polling to 10 mins, it will update it in sensors every 20 mins, why does it happen?
螢幕擷取畫面 2022-12-07 174645.png
螢幕擷取畫面 2022-12-07 174645.png (41.9 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
螢幕擷取畫面 2022-12-08 175815.png
螢幕擷取畫面 2022-12-08 175815.png (54.35 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

I think you need to rethink what you're trying to accomplish. Battery devices conserve battery power. Have to radio active to receive packets takes power, having the radio active to transmit packets takes even more power. So battery devices are typically configured to only "wake up" at certain polling events or other conditions they have been told to "wake up". I have exactly two battery powered devices in my network. I do have a few Aeotec multi sensors both they are DC powered. I also do not use the sensor polling to get the temp. I tell the device using a parameter value when to send say temperature updates. I do use temperature values in some of my automations. If the temp is the same at say 11am as it is at 11:30am, why do I care of the device has sent out the temperature value? I'm not concerned about .1 degree temperature changes as my automations are not that granular.

Next, having the sensor polling enabled is not going to get the device to respond...read above "wake up" and just because you sent a query, doesn't mean the device is going to get it until the next "wake up" interval. If you want the device to send .1 degree changes, then set the parameter vaues according on the device itself. Expect the battery life to be absolutely terrible though.

Take the Aeotec multisensor 6:

Code: Select all

Parameter 2: Enable/Disable waking up for 10 minutes when re-power on (battery mode) the MultiSensor.
Enable/Disable waking up for 10 minutes when re-power on (battery mode) the MultiSensor.
Size: 1 Byte, Default Value: 0

Setting	Description
0	Disable
1	Enable.
Parameter 3: Set the PIR time.
The default PIR time is 4 minutes. The Multisensor will send BASIC SET CC (0x00) to the associated nodes if no motion is triggered again in 4 minutes.
Size: 2 Byte, Default Value: 240

Setting	Description
10 - 3600	The range of PIR time is 10 to 3600.
Parameter 4: Set the sensitivity of motion sensor.
Set the sensitivity of motion sensor.
Size: 1 Byte, Default Value: 5

Setting	Description
0	The current PIR sensitivity level=0.(minimum level)
1	The current PIR sensitivity level=1.
2	The current PIR sensitivity level=2.
3	The current PIR sensitivity level=3.
4	The current PIR sensitivity level=4.
5	The current PIR sensitivity level=5. (maximum level)
Parameter 5: Which command would be sent when the motion sensor triggered.
To set which command would be sent when the motion sensor is triggered.
Size: 1 Byte, Default Value: 1

Setting	Description
1	Send Basic Set CC
2	Send Sensor Binary Report CC
Parameter 8: Set the timeout of awake after the Wake Up CC is sent out..
Set the timeout of awake after the Wake Up CC is sent out..
Size: 1 Byte, Default Value: 15

Setting	Description
10 - 30	Available rang is 10 to 30 seconds.
Parameter 9: Report the current power mode and the product state for battery power mode
Report the current power mode and the product state for battery power mode.Note: this parameter cannot be used as Set usage.
Size: 2 Byte, Default Value: 0

Setting	Description
0	The current power mode is USB power mode.
256	The current power mode is Battery power mode.
257	The current power mode is Battery mode and the product state is awake for 10 minutes.
Parameter 39: Configure the default low battery value.
Configure the default low battery value. When the current battery level is lower than this value, it will send out the low battery alarm.
Size: 1 Byte, Default Value: 20

Setting	Description
10 - 50	Available rang is 10% to 50%.
Parameter 40: Enable/disable the selective reporting only when measurements reach a certain threshold or percentage
Enable/disable the selective reporting only when measurements reach a certain threshold or percentage. This is used to reduce network traffic. Note: If USB power, the Sensor will check the threshold every 10 seconds. If battery power, the Sensor will check the threshold when it is waken up.
Size: 1 Byte, Default Value: 0

Setting	Description
0	Disable
1	Enable.
Parameter 41: Threshold change in temperature to induce an automatic report.
Threshold change in temperature to induce an automatic report.
Note: 1. The unit is Fahrenheit for US version, Celsius for EU/AU version. 2. High byte is the threshold value. Low byte is the unit (0x01=Celsius, 0x02=Fahrenheit). 3. The threshold value (high byte) contains one decimal point. E.g. if the value is set to 20 (0x001401), the threshold value = 2.0°C (EU/AU version) or if the value is set to 20 (0x001402), the threshold value= 2.0°F (US version). When the current temperature gap is more then 2.0, which will induce a temperature report to be sent out.
Size: 4 Byte, Default Value: 20

Setting	Description
-128 - 127	Available rang is -12.8°C to 12.7°C.
As you can see from some of the parameters, it is not going to matter what you set the sensor polling to. In the case of the multisensor 6, you can set when the temperature change report is set based upon a change in temperature. Back to the warning, your battery life will suffer the more aggressive you set it.

Mine is USB powered because of where I have one of them and the other was was near a power source. So not having to deal with batteries is a plus.

So you should look at the parameter values you have configured and set them accordingly. Is a temperature change of .1 degree or .0 degree worthy of a poll and reduced battery life?
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

Here is mine, it is not polled, it sends out temperature changes on its own.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 10.02.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 10.02.44 PM.png (94.48 KiB) Viewed 1454 times