Interview failed with Philio PST02-1A

Discussions about existing Z-Wave device and their usage with Z-Way/Z-Cloud/Z-Box
elvizgz

Interview failed with Philio PST02-1A

Post by elvizgz »

Hello!

I've got two Philio 4 in 1 sensors model PST02-1A and a RaZberry working with z-way 2. I've tried to add the philio sensors to the network but the interview it's not completed. At the end the message of Interview failed always appears. I've already tried to exclude the sensors and include them again, to force the interview, etc. but the result is always the same.

I've also tried to add it to another RaZberry running with z-way 1.7 but it's the same problem.

I've found this post where mention the same problem: viewtopic.php?f=3423&t=21171&p=54653&hilit=pst02 but opened this one because it's different topic.

¿Any idea anyone?
Mirar

Re: Interview failed with Philio PST02-1A

Post by Mirar »

I already replied with ideas in that topic. z-way-server isn't very persistent in trying the interview.

This works for most of my devices:
1. hit "force interview"
2. wait about 2-3 seconds, make sure the device wakes up (for the PST02 it means hit the tamper alarm switch)
3. open "view interview result" and hit the ones that didn't go through, repeat from step 2 until you have all answers
4. if that didn't work, start over with 1.

I don't know why I have to do this manually.

I also had to pick the device description manually. (I have to do that for most of my devices, even though the interview does an almost perfect identification.)
Mirar

Post by Mirar »

Now I can't interview mine either. They got stuck:

Interview-Status active + +++ ++ø++++ø++++ø++
Wireless Activity Device is currently awake

What does ø mean?

At this stage they can't get forced either. Random parts of the interview never gets replied, not the same.
thaui

Post by thaui »

Same issue with PST02-1B. Interview can not be finalized. Seems that Gen5 sensors are not fully supported yet. If that`s the case the Razberry device including zway is useless. I hope they can fix it shortly. To much time consuming to figure out and report all the bugs for essential things.
Mirar

Post by Mirar »

I doubt that is the case. It's different things not getting finished. If I "force interview" (the main one) twice in a row, it usually, in total, get all the answers. But I can't manually force it and it goes ø instead of the normal dot - is it because it's a battery powered device, linked to all the other battery powered device bugs, or is it a gen5 thing?

(Also when I just got them, I didn't have any problem getting both of mine interviewed...)
pofs

Post by pofs »

If you don't mention which command classes failed the interview and provide re-interview log fragment, we won't be able to help. That string with "+" and "-" is useless for diagnostics.
Mirar

Post by Mirar »

I did mention that. It's random which classes fail to interview:
Random parts of the interview never gets replied, not the same.
I can list all command classes I've seen fail, which is most, but I've also seen all of them succeed.

The command classes it has are:
Basic, SensorBinary, SensorMultilevel, AssociationGroupInformation, DeviceResetLocally, ZWavePlusInfo, Configuration, Alarm, ManufacturerSpecific, PowerLevel, FirmwareUpdate, Battery, Wakeup, Association, Version, MultiCmd, Security

It mostly fails on Alarm, Wakeup, Association, SensorBinary and SensorMultilevel. But it seems more or less random. Right now it shows ø only on Alarm, and it's functional (I don't think I'm using the Alarm bits of the sensor), so I don't want to randomize it again.

Also I don't get any - in my string, which was actually my question: What does ø mean? And why can't I force parts of the interview after ø shows up?
pofs

Post by pofs »

The new Expert UI seems to use "ø" instead of "-" for command classes ("-" is only used for NIF). So it means the interview is not done.

If you have random command classes not interviewed, it usually means poor radio signal, so some packets are not delivered. Placing device closer to controller and re-interview usually helps here.
Mirar

Post by Mirar »

Thank you for the answer on ø. Why doesn't it start with ø (it shows a lot of - first) and why can't I force the missing part of the interview?

The device was 2 meters open air from the Razberry. I could place it closer, but it seems a bit silly to blame bad radio reception. I tried at least 30 times to get it to interview properly (from the main force interview).

I have basically no devices that interviews correct every time. Even if the devices woould be buggy and randomly don't answer the requests to that degree (they might, everything z-wave seems to bug), this is still a problem for the Razberry/z-way-server.
pofs

Post by pofs »

It should show a lot of "." first, not "-". The "ø" sign appears only when interview is not completed and there's no more retries left.

If there's a bug either in device or in z-way-server, it likely would be the same command classes which don't pass interview. If it is always a random set of command classes, the radio seems more probable reason. I'm not saying there's no errors in device and/or z-way-server, but you should at least sort out the other possible issues.