The Aeotec HEM Gen5 - 3 Phase energy meter

Discussions about existing Z-Wave device and their usage with Z-Way/Z-Cloud/Z-Box
equathza

The Aeotec HEM Gen5 - 3 Phase energy meter

Post by equathza »

Setting up the Aeotec Home Energy Meter Gen5

For me including this device was a roller-coaster. Mostly due to the lack of a proper written manual, that covers ALL configuration parameters..
For some the default automatic reporting might work out of box and no changes are desired. I however log all values to a database to create visualizations of my actuators, so time based reports of consumption value are useful to me.

In my installation case, I ran into some added complexity. Where at first I though my device was broken. I got 0 watt usage on clamp 1, that after inspection was clearly the right value. While phase number two was utilized a whopping 30 Amps, a surprise.
To a huge surprise, I needed a hidden parameter 13 to be disabled to get my meter to automatically report meter readings.
After disabling, it is recommended to re-associate the device to the Z-way controller. (Use the ExpertUI and the Device it's expert configuration, to set the association)
I am still a bit dumbfounded, as CRC16 is to protect from some nasty value corruptions. So I enabled parameter 13, which didn't seem to break reporting.

A few things I think everyone should know about getting this device to work:
  • Lets start with some fundamental understanding of the clamps, ensure that the primary current flows into K and out of L. Otherwise you'll see negative values being reported. Not well described in the manual :roll:
  • Advice to offset the reporting intervals from other report groups.
  • Keep in mind you can easily flood your network by choosing too short periods OR configuring low usage change threshold parameters.
  • Parameter 2; controls meter behavior for reporting, change is needed when to also generating electricity and only used in cooperation for measure reports from 101, 102 and 103.
  • Parameter 3; You either enable (default) automatic reporting, triggered by change in wattage usage (parameters 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11) OR disable and use the reporting groups in parameter. (101,102 and 103)
  • Parameter 4; Change in total watt usage.
  • Parameter 5; Change in watt usage clamp 1.
  • Parameter 6; Change in watt usage clamp 2.
  • Parameter 7; Change in watt usage clamp 3.
  • Parameter 8; Change in percentage of total watt usage.
  • Parameter 9; Change in percentage of watt usage for clamp 1.
  • Parameter 10; Change in percentage of watt usage for clamp 2.
  • Parameter 11; Change in percentage of watt usage for clamp 3.
  • Parameter 13; This enables or disables CRC16 reporting.
  • Parameter 101; Configure Reporting group 1 logging by setting an calculated decimal value.
  • Parameter 102; Configure Reporting group 1 logging by setting an calculated decimal value.
  • Parameter 103; Configure Reporting group 1 logging by setting an calculated decimal value.
  • Parameter 111; Configure Reporting group 1 reporting interval in seconds. (offset and don't flood network)
  • Parameter 112; Configure Reporting group 1 reporting interval in seconds. (offset and don't flood network)
  • Parameter 113; Configure Reporting group 1 reporting interval in seconds. (offset and don't flood network)
  • Parameter 200; PartnerID, not need to adjust. (not even sure what it even does)
  • Parameter 252; Enable/Disable Lock configuration. (I don't know if it can be reversed, manual doesn't state)
  • Parameter 255; Reset default config or reset and factory reset. (Z-Way default values deviate from the manual)
To calculated the decimal value to use in parameters 101, 102 and 103, get a calculator or use excel:

Code: Select all

decimal	feature description
value 
1	Report Total KWH
2	Report Total Watt
4	Report Total Voltage (likely redundant value of clamp 1)
8	Report Total Current (Amps)
256	Report Watt for Clamp 1
512	Report Watt for Clamp 2
1024	Report Watt for Clamp 3
2048	Report KWH for Clamp 1
4096	Report KWH for Clamp 2
8192	Report KWH for Clamp 3
65536	Report Voltage for Clamp 1
131072	Report Voltage for Clamp 2
262144	Report Voltage for Clamp 3
524288	Report Current (A) for Clamp 1
1048576	Report Current (A) for Clamp 2
2097152	Report Current (A) for Clamp 3
You sum up the decimal values of the described report "features" you want to be report.
That sum is the value you put in the report group (101, 102 or 103)
After configuring the reporting intervals in parameters 111, 112 and 113. Makes sure parameter 3 is disabled, it seems you cannot use both!

Questions and remarks are welcome!
-> A fellow Z-way user running a network of 50+ devices
Skeatorpet

Re: The Aeotec HEM Gen5 - 3 Phase energy meter

Post by Skeatorpet »

Thanks for all the useful information, have just been throw the setup and finally got automated reporting working.
However I'm missing sensors in z-way for clamp 3 (the V, A and W values, have a Meter defined for kWh). For clamp 1 and 2 these sensor where created during discovery.
Can the missing sensors be added manually?
Did you got sensors setup for all clamps?

/Thomas
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Z-Way should detect all sensors during the interview process. Do you see them in the Expert UI?
booroondook

Post by booroondook »

Which software is suitable for settings of HEM?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Z-Way is. Maybe the community can suggest other s/w
Haapala

Post by Haapala »

Skeatorpet wrote:
12 Jul 2022 13:06
Thanks for all the useful information, have just been throw the setup and finally got automated reporting working.
However I'm missing sensors in z-way for clamp 3 (the V, A and W values, have a Meter defined for kWh). For clamp 1 and 2 these sensor where created during discovery.
Can the missing sensors be added manually?
Did you got sensors setup for all clamps?

/Thomas
Yes, the missing sensors can be added manually. I'm glad to hear that you got automated reporting working! It sounds like you have sensors setup for all clamps, so that's great.
alky

Post by alky »

I just connect this devices.
For clamp 3 I see only kWh (not A, V and W), how can repair it?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Are they shown in the Expert UI?
alky

Post by alky »

PoltoS wrote:
17 May 2023 04:53
Are they shown in the Expert UI?
No don't.
Attachments
Expert UI
Expert UI
AEM.png (93.99 KiB) Viewed 8490 times
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Sure the device reports it? Go in Configuration folder and show data for Sensor Multilevel and Meter for channels 2 and 3. Compare the data to see the difference.