Z-Uno2 OTA Sketch update

Discussion about Z-Uno product. Visit http://z-uno.z-wave.me for more details.
principia

Z-Uno2 OTA Sketch update

Post by principia »

I am attempting to upload my sketch using OTA to my Z-Uno2 (3.0.9). I am using Simplicity Studio 6 and an Aeotec USB 5 controller stick which successfully communicates with the Z-Uno2. I can send commands, update configuration parameters etc.

My testing uses the Radio Blink sketch and I have located the RadioBlink_ino_signed.bin in the temporary build folder as the source for the OTA upload. Using Simplicity Studio 5 I have successfully executed the "Get" command as the first stage of the firmware update. It reports Target 0 and Target 1 firmware information.

I have set config parameter 20 to 1 ready for OTA. When I execute the Update command for Target 1 the process repeatedly attempts to send packet 1 of 264. This is unsuccessful and the update does not proceed (I have tried the .hex file with the same problem). I've attached the log file. I have previously updated other devices, e.g. Heltun using this hardware and software.

Can you please let me know what I need to do to perform OTA updates. My final application sketch will run on a Z-Uno2 where USB access will be very difficult without removing ceiling coverings so OTA is essential.

Simplicity Studio Log.png
Simplicity Studio Log.png (89.54 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
Last edited by principia on 27 May 2022 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
principia

Re: Z-Uno2 OTA Sketch update

Post by principia »

OK - answering my own question :)

OTA update of a sketch requires the Z-Uno2 to be in S2 mode. The option to enable / disable security is now removed from 3.0.9 beta 10 for Z-Wave compliance. However my controller (ComfortClick) does not support S2 and cannot include such devices. If the device falls back automatically to insecure it's OK otherwise it reverts to a "Basic" device only and does not provide any useful functionality. Nothing I can do about that because its in the hands of the ComfortClick development team.

Security can actually still be enabled / disabled by various mechanisms - all make the Z-Uno2 non-compliant with Z-Wave standards. So it looks as if I will have to use some logic in setup() (possibly selected by a user configuration parameter) to call zunoStartLearn() to decide when to go secure for OTA using Simplicity Studio or non-secure for normal operations on my controller (accepting the risk this entails).

Could the Z-Uno team confirm the above and / or suggest a better solution please?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

It should work, but we will check it with our support team and come back
p0lyg0n1

Post by p0lyg0n1 »

Hello. You can go back to the old option with the security settings in the IDE "at your own risk". To do this, go to the folder where the additional Arduino IDE packages are stored (use the hyperlink to the configuration file in the settings dialog). Open the "packages" folder and navigate to the files boards.txt and platform.txt (see screenshot). To get the setting back, uncomment the lines with a green check mark in the file platform.txt and add the comment symbol "#" before the lines in which it is specified. Uncomment the lines in the file boards.txt which are united by a green curly brace in the screenshot. You can also set always off for encryption by specifying "sec=0" in places that are underlined in red instead of returning the setting. Restart the IDE. You will be able to select the encryption mode again. After each update to the new version, you will have to edit the files.Good luck.
Best regards,
Alex.
Attachments
Screen3.jpg
Screen3.jpg (344.78 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
Screen2.jpg
Screen2.jpg (349.24 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
Screen1.png
Screen1.png (97.89 KiB) Viewed 1831 times