ZUNO with Piper NV

Discussion about Z-Uno product. Visit http://z-uno.z-wave.me for more details.
netclimber

ZUNO with Piper NV

Post by netclimber »

The Z-UNO is a great idea and I tried to include a device in the Piper NV controller. The red LED flashed a couple of times and it looks like the devices are communicating (red and green flashing) but then the Piper reports "Piper did not receive a signal from the wireless accessory". Once removed (yes, I had to remove it although it was not listed) I disabled security and re-initiated the inclusion process. This time, it worked and the device seems to work. I tried the following code:

Code: Select all

#define PIN_OPEN 13
#define PIN_CLOSE 14

byte DoorValue;

ZUNO_SETUP_CHANNELS(ZUNO_SWITCH_BINARY(getter, setter));

void setup() {
  pinMode(PIN_OPEN, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(PIN_CLOSE, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  // loop is empty, because all the control comes over the Z-Wave
}
void setter(byte value) {
  if (value > 0) {
    digitalWrite (PIN_OPEN, HIGH);
    delay(200);
    digitalWrite (PIN_OPEN, LOW);

} else {
    digitalWrite (PIN_CLOSE, HIGH);
    delay(200);
    digitalWrite (PIN_CLOSE, LOW);
  }

DoorValue = value;
}

byte getter() {
  return DoorValue;
}
Instead of a simple switch, two switch controls are listed in the Piper controller - and both controls are coupled. Still working on it, but so far I'm happy that Zuno seems to be supported by the Piper...
PoltoS

Re: ZUNO with Piper NV

Post by PoltoS »

Thanks for your report on Z-Uno working with Piper! Happy it works out of the box.

Few comments:
1. Z-Uno follows Z-Wave standard and we have to map channel 1 to channel 0, so you see two switches. Then most of controllers uses device knowledge to remove duplicate UI controls. This will not work for Z-Uno since you can not define it generally - too flexible. But I believe there should be a way to load some template to explain how to interpret different widgets. At least in Vera and RaZberry it is possible to change UI "interpretation"

As for disabling Security, are you sure Piper properly supports Security Command Class? Z-Uno was certified with Security, so we are sure it works. If it does not, please provide us as much logs as you can, so we will try it here. A doorlock without encryption is a bad idea. We will try to understand why Piper do not negociate with Z-Uno.
netclimber

Post by netclimber »

Cheers for the fast reply. I verified that security does not work between ZUNO and the Piper NV. Also, I guess the Piper does only support single channel devices, and there is no way to change the UI. It just lists the channels detected. Even worse, when I try multiple channels, e.g. multiple switches and dimmers, they are listed but whenever I try to control one, the others take the same value. So, the only meaningful way I found so far is to add one switch, which will be listed twice... but then, Piper is also not really a full-features Z-Wave controller but rather a webcam with Z-Wave support ;)
netclimber

Post by netclimber »

I got a response from the Piper support team. The Piper NV (in the contrast to the regular Piper) supports security class. So it is unclear why I cannot make it work with the ZUNO. And there is no log nor SDK for the Piper which would help in debugging. As to support for multiple sensors/actors in one device this is not existent and is not on the list of updates for the Piper controllers.

Is there a way to troubleshoot the security issue from the ZUNO side? Or is there a Z-Wave sniffer solution?

Oh, and BTW, the code in the original post cannot work anyway with the delay function call in the setter function. I moved it into loop() and barely set flags in the setter function...
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Hard to say. Usually controller log helps.

You are right, it is not allowed to use delay() in getters and setters. For technocal reasons. They are ignored.