Samsung SmartThings and Max Channels

Discussion about Z-Uno product. Visit http://z-uno.z-wave.me for more details.
Davesmeghead

Samsung SmartThings and Max Channels

Post by Davesmeghead »

Hello, I've just joined the forum and have a couple of questions about Z-Uno and maybe about ZWave in General.

I've looked and searched the forum about Samsung ST and can't find anything useful, has anyone connected a Z-Uno and is it OK? I know that it should connect but as we all know theory and practice are 2 different things. What I mean is, for example, does Samsung ST support all the channel types of the Z-Uno?

And one more thing, how many "channels" can I have? This maybe a ZWave question or maybe a Z-Uno question I'm not sure. I've seen the 10 channel example but can I have something like 100 channels? I plan to connect a Z-Uno to my burglar alarm by RS232 (UART), it has 32 sensor zones with each having motion/tamper/battery values. The Alarm is currently wired to a Vera but I'm tired of the support from Vera for other devices I have. I want to make the alarm in to a standalone ZWave device so I can connect it to other controllers (ready for when I move away from Vera).

Thanks for any help.....
michap

Re: Samsung SmartThings and Max Channels

Post by michap »

Davesmeghead wrote:Samsung ST support all the channel types of the Z-Uno?
I really haven't seen a Samsung SmartThings hub in EU version for Z-Wave.
You have it at home / in office?

Z-Uno for US is not available in this time - so can not be tested ;)
Davesmeghead wrote:how many "channels" can I have?
You can create 10 Z-Wave channels (devices) with one Z-Uno.

Michael
Davesmeghead

Post by Davesmeghead »

Thanks for the reply and the information.

I believe that the EU version of Smartthings supports ZWave and Zigbee
https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-g ... neral-info

I haven't bought one yet but they are available in the UK:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech ... 7-pdt.html
"Along with a simple Ethernet connection to get your hub online, it supports the extra-secure ZigBee wireless network, Bluetooth, Z-Wave and USB connectivity, so you can easily connect all your smart tech regardless of brand."

Only having 10 channels is quite a limitation when I would need around 100 using the built in channel types (like binary motion sensor, binary tamper etc).

Does each channel transfer a single byte (8 bits) value?

Also, is the 10 channel maximum a Z-Uno limitation or a ZWave limitation?

If it is 8 bits on a single channel, can I perhaps create my own protocol for a channel. For example, a single channel could transfer detections as they can be sequenced. The 8 bits could use 6 bits for the sensor number (allowing up to 64 sensors) and 1 bit each for the motion and tamper values.

I realise that the ZWave hub (Vera or Samsung Hub) would need a specific application (plugin) to decode this protocol but it should be fairly simple.

thanks again for any help.
michap

Post by michap »

10 channels is the Z-Uno limitation and is fine for most self-made devices ;)

Of course you could use the multilevel switch as sample - you can transfer 256 level steps for each device.
Then you could create a plug-in for decoding and changing the values for your 100 virtual devices (you have to create).

It sounds not very complicate - could be done using scripts in Z-Way or in other open application, but not sure about Samsung - it is a closed cloud based gateway.

But right, this is at first a software project - and then a hardware project ;)

Michael

PS: right, seems Samsung ST is ready for EU market...
Davesmeghead

Post by Davesmeghead »

Thankyou again for your help

The Samsung ST is not a closed system, quite the opposite. Also, it used to be cloud only but it can now run things locally. However, it chooses where to execute things and not the programmer.
Samsung have an SDK and encourage developers to write handlers / smartapps and optionally get them certified by Samsung. Here's a link:
http://developer.smartthings.com/

I would need to write a "Device Handler" that gets the raw info from the ZWave device and translates it to events,
http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/r ... r-ref.html

For a Vera, which is what I have at the moment, I would need to ask in the forums how to get the raw zwave information.

Thanks again
michap

Post by michap »

Good to know - looks interesting :)

I got following information from SmartThings - maybe interesting for others:
Thanks for writing in!

SmartThings is currently only certified to work in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.

The United Kingdom hub is designed for 220V and uses the Z-Wave frequencies 868.4 MHz, 869.85 MHz.
The United States and Canadian hub is designed for 120V and uses the Z-Wave frequencies 908.4 MHz.
Michael
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

We have seen reports that it work, but with Security turned off. And not all channels. But I have a pretty limited knowledge.

Check this: viewtopic.php?f=3427&t=23599&hilit=smarthings#p63113
larry1

Post by larry1 »

I think that you could use smartthings also in your own house - check out this article - How can smartthings developer help you in a smart home development - https://www.cleveroad.com/blog/how-can- ... evelopment
AlmostSerious

Post by AlmostSerious »

Just to let you know: Yes.. it works fine with the UK Hub.