5V power OUT of the micro USB?

Discussion about Z-Uno product. Visit http://z-uno.z-wave.me for more details.
GregN

5V power OUT of the micro USB?

Post by GregN »

Hi,

If I power the Z-Uno with 5V though the GND and 5V pins, can I use the micro USB to supply the 5V to whatever is plugged into it? If so is there any current limit (beyond what the PSU can supply)?

Thanks,

Greg
michap

Re: 5V power OUT of the micro USB?

Post by michap »

NO.

In normal case the 5V is coming from USB - and the 5V input will not be protected - so you should add a diode to your battery if you want to use USB and battery power parallel.

Michael
GregN

Post by GregN »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

However, I don't want to use the 5V pin and micro USB power as parallel power ins. I only ever want to use the 5V pin as power in and the micro USB as power out. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Greg
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Yes, but please note that none of USB Host devices (like computer) will like another power source on the USB cable. This can result in damage of your USB ports of your PC
GregN

Post by GregN »

Hi PoltoS,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I understand about competing power supplies and I'll make sure that that doesn't happen! I see quite a few queries about power on the Z-Uno - perhaps a circuit diagram for the power supply chain would make things a lot clearer?

Thanks again,

Greg.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

GregN

Post by GregN »

Hi PoltoS,

Brilliant! Thanks ever so much, that's really useful.

However, doesn't the presence of D5 mean that I can't, in fact, get 5V out of the micro USB?

Kind regards,

Greg.