Shield PWM output

Discussion about Z-Uno product. Visit http://z-uno.z-wave.me for more details.
gabors

Shield PWM output

Post by gabors »

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but the search engine says that the word "pwm" is too short and it ignores it.

My ultimate goal is to control some actuators with 0-10V control input top open and close valves for underfloor heating.
Based on the descriptions, my assumption was that the PWM1-PWM4 outputs could be used for this with an RC filter and voltage divider resistors to get maximum 10V in the end. I would like to power both the Z-Uno and the actuators with a 24V power supply, but using 12V or even 10V for the Z-Uno wouldn't be a problem. (I know there is a dedicated 0-10V output, but I have many actuators, so 1 output is not enough here.)

I have the 3.3 PWM signal on the PWM outputs of the Z-Uno, and also on the MOSFET's Gate leg. But there is "nothing" on the shield's PWM leg. To be precise, I measure -140mV between GND pin and PWM1 with a multimeter, and ~560mV with a handheld oscilloscope (if you can call a MiniDSO DS212 an oscilloscope...).

I've also measured the voltage on the MOSFET's Source leg, and it' 0V, on ground. Do I assume correctly, that the the Source leg should be on the same potential as the power supply voltage, in my case 24V? At the moment there are no components connected to the PWM1 pin, just the multimeter/oscilloscope, because I am working my way out from the start.

Thanks in advance!

Gabor
PoltoS

Re: Shield PWM output

Post by PoltoS »

First you need to understand is that PWM 1-4 outputs are open drain. This means that you should connect them to some power source and the PWM will regulate the switching to GND. This is why measuring to GND gives you almost nothing.

Second, as you mentioned an RC-filter is needed, but PWM 1-4 is 488 Hz only and you will need a big RC-filter to smoothern it to a flat form. The PWM0 is based on very fast PWM and has all filters built-in.

New Z-Uno Shield will have 4 outputs for 0-10 V.
gabors

Post by gabors »

Thank you for the answer and sorry for the late response.

Can I just use the planned 24V power source? Do I need to use a (pull-up) resistor?

I see the new Z-Uno version is now planned to be released in March. Is there a specification for it, or it is not final yet?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

on PWM resistors might only be needed to limit the current (to 5A max) bit not to pull up, since it is current control and not voltage control.

The specification is not yet printed and made public, but it is already defined
gabors

Post by gabors »

Thank you!

PWM is working as expected.

Looking forward to the release of the new version!
gabors

Post by gabors »

Hi,

I saw that Z.Uno - Gen7 has been released, which is great. Do you have any news about the new Z-Uno Shield with "4 outputs for 0-10 V"? When can that be expected?

Thanks
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

If all go ok and we approve the new h/w in October, it will see live in December. But things are very delayed this year as you ahve noticed.... We have changed half of the components already because we can not buy the selected one ;(
qqflx2

Post by qqflx2 »

Any updates to projected availability of the new shield?
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Expected for March 2022
gabors

Post by gabors »

Hi PoltoS,

I saw in another post you wrote possible availability of the new Shield in July or August. Do you have any update on that?

Thanks!