Hanging Z-UNO - Update firmware ?

Discussion about Z-Uno product. Visit http://z-uno.z-wave.me for more details.
luhrern

Hanging Z-UNO - Update firmware ?

Post by luhrern »

I have two z-uno´s working with the same controller.

The oldest bougth and in operation since 2019, Z-UNO01, has according to the Z-wave expert UI - in teh Firmware Update a Application Version 2.15.

The newest bougth and in operation this year (2021), Z-UNO02, has has according to the Z-wave expert UI - in teh Firmware Update a Application Version 2.17.

In the house where these two Z-UNO are located there is from time to time electricity outage. Z-UNO02 starts up fine when the electricity comes back but Z-UNO01 looses the connection to the controller or are "hanging". I hhold the BTN button and push the RST button, and the Z-UNO01 are alive again.

The sketch on the Z-UNO01 are a bit more complicated than the one on the Z-UNO02. Both are enclosed as zipped WORD files. Z-UNO02 are produced by myself with teh Z-UNO configurator with some adjustments, while the Z-UNO01 sketch are produced of some more proffesional actors.

Question is why the sketch or Z-UNO on the Z-UNO01 hangs after electrificty outage? Would it be an idea to upgrade the firmware ? Nad how do I proceed with that. I have done this previously with other Z-Wave units from teh expert UI, but are not very familiar with the process. And if I go for that where do I find the firmware file ?
Attachments
z_uno02.docx.zip
(12.2 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
z_uno01.docx.zip
(12.79 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
PoltoS

Re: Hanging Z-UNO - Update firmware ?

Post by PoltoS »

Two things to check before going deep in the code analysis:
1) check their power supply. May be Z-Uno 01 has another power supply that produces strange output on power up that leads to h/w hang.
2) upgrade the bootloader to 2.17 - there were many fixes. one of them is the USB check on start - the code might hang waiting for USB in some cases (this happened on Z-Uno Modules but in theory can happen in Z-Uno too).

To upgrade the bootloader you can do OTA to chip #0 and then upload the sketch remotely again using OTA to chip #1
luhrern

Re: Hanging Z-UNO - Update firmware ?

Post by luhrern »

Dear Poltos

Thankyou for the reply.

The location of the property where the Z-Unos's are located is in a holiday house Greece and I are currently back home in Norway, so I have limlited chanche to to the upgrade.

1. Both Z-Uno's are powvered by a ABB 230/24 Volt transformer. The quality shoudl be good and the and capacity adequate.

2. With regards to the Over The Air I am not familiar with this technique, and maybe I should do upload the sketch after I have uploaded the bootloader to ver 2.17 - first possible option is when I am back in Greece.

Thankyou for the help as per now.