Z-Uno2 not allowing more than one binary sensor in sketch

Discussion about Z-Uno product. Visit http://z-uno.z-wave.me for more details.
jemenake

Z-Uno2 not allowing more than one binary sensor in sketch

Post by jemenake »

When I was using Z-Uno v1's, I had a sketch that used five z-wave channels: four binary sensors and one binary switch. It worked with them, and also worked with the first Z-Uno v2 that I used.

With the current two Z-Uno v2's I'm using, inclusion fails if I try to use more than one binary sensor. The inclusion starts, and the hub starts to interview the device, but the interview times out, and the device just shows up as supporting 'ping'. If it limit the capabilities to just a single sensor and single button, then inclusion correctly identifies the two channels. If I try just adding one more sensor, inclusion will just timeout, again.

Meanwhile, the sketch uploads and runs fine; it's the z-wave inclusion which fails to describe to the hub what the capabilities are. This is all with Home Assistant, by the way.

Examples:
This works:

Code: Select all

ZUNO_SETUP_CHANNELS(
  ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY(ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY_TYPE_HEAT, getter0),
  // ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY(ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY_TYPE_WATER, getter1),
  // ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY(ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY_TYPE_FREEZE, getter2),
  // ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY(ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY_TYPE_TAMPER, getter3),
  ZUNO_SWITCH_BINARY(pseduo_switch_getter, pseduo_switch_setter)
);
This does not work:

ZUNO_SETUP_CHANNELS(
  ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY(ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY_TYPE_HEAT, getter0),
  ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY(ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY_TYPE_WATER, getter1),
  // ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY(ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY_TYPE_FREEZE, getter2),
  // ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY(ZUNO_SENSOR_BINARY_TYPE_TAMPER, getter3),
  ZUNO_SWITCH_BINARY(pseduo_switch_getter, pseduo_switch_setter)
);
Right now, the sensors are of different types because I was checking to see if that would change the behavior. Originally, I was using four generic binary sensors, which also doesn't work. All of those getters are there. The code compiles with almost no warnings. This happens when using VS Code or Arduino IDE 2.x to compile/upload the code. Also, keep in mind that, every time I change the code and upload, I exclude the device, reset the Z-Uno, and include, again.
jemenake

Re: Z-Uno2 not allowing more than one binary sensor in sketch

Post by jemenake »

This is getting very frustrating. I've now spent about 5 weeknights and an entire weekend trying to get this to work (something that used to work on previous versions of the Z-Uno).

Out of desperation, because these Z-Unos aren't allowing me to have more than one sensor, I decided to try a multilevel sensor, where I could use the bits of the multilevel byte value as the statuses of up to eight binary sensors. Like so:

ZUNO_SETUP_CHANNELS(
  ZUNO_SENSOR_MULTILEVEL_GENERAL_PURPOSE(getter_gp),
  ZUNO_SWITCH_BINARY(pseudo_switch_getter, pseudo_switch_setter)
);
That didn't work, initially. Out of further desperation, I tried the latest beta library for Z-Uno 2. Finally, I got it to work, once. What's a little unsettling is that the LED patterns during inclusion changed with the beta library. With the release library, triple-pressing BTN (for inclusion) would merely flash the white light quickly, and then the green light would continue blinking. Now, with the beta library, a triple-press causes the red button to flash (usually short-short-long-short-long).

That was the only time the Z-Uno showed up, recently, as having a binary switch. I tried some more experiments on different channel arrangements (which required exclusion and re-inclusion), and the binary switch never reappeared.

I've tried changing the order of the entries in the channel setup (i.e placing the binary switch ahead of the multilevel sensor) but that didn't help.
p0lyg0n1

Re: Z-Uno2 not allowing more than one binary sensor in sketch

Post by p0lyg0n1 »

Hi,
Don't worry, it's easy to solve the problem if it worked for you before. Perhaps the problem is ZUno's adherence to the latest Z-Wave standard, which was caused by certification. To repeat the problem, we need additional information. 1. Which Z-Wave controller are you using. Which version you currently have installed (include a detailed output in the IDE - ZUno prints the software version to the console when loading a new sketch). Several binary sensors should definitely work. We certified ZUno with a similar sketch (just in case, try it with your controller too https://z-uno.z-wave.me/examples/Certified10Ch/ ) on version 3.09B6. I am waiting for your answers.

Best regards,
Alex.