How to Reset the Razberry (or PI) on a regular (weekly) base

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
dromer1967

How to Reset the Razberry (or PI) on a regular (weekly) base

Post by dromer1967 »

I have the Razberry running on a PI without anything else. I use WIFI to connect to the PI.

On a regular basis the PI seems to hang itself up and since Z-Way is the only application running on it I think it is the cause. CPU on the PI goes up sky hi and the PI no longer responds to login requests using WIFI.

My software which uses the Razberry gets connection errors (using HTTP) and can no longer connect to the Razberry.

Also I can't access the Razberry web interface when the PI seems to hang.

I have to physically disconnect the power so the PI reboots. That seems to be the only option at that time.

It then operates good for a couple of weeks after which it seems to hang again etc.

I was wondering if there might be a way to reset the Z-WAY server/razberry chip say every week so it will act as if it has been rebooted or so?

If I could do this on a weekly basis then perhaps the razberry will keep operating for a longer period of time since now I have to disconnect my PI from power every couple of weeks or so (which is quite annoying and eventually breaks the SD card).

I'm hoping there is some sort of a solution for this so I can keep using the Razberry instead of looking for an other alternative.

Regard,
Peter
xchatter

Re: How to Reset the Razberry (or PI) on a regular (weekly)

Post by xchatter »

Hi,

You can use cron (should already be installed):

Edit crontab:
In terminal type
sudo crontab -e
The first time you might have to choose your preferred editor (like nano)

Insert a line like
0 4 1 * * /sbin/shutdown -r +1
at the bottom. Explanation:
(minute) (hour) (day of month) (month) (day of week) (command to run)
so the line
0 4 1 * * /sbin/shutdown -r +1
would reboot your system every first day of every month at 4:01am. (4:00am + 1 minute)
Ctrl+X, Y, Enter should get you out of crontab (if using nano)

I found this method on some forum. It should work for you. :)

You can test it with something like:
0 4 * * * /sbin/shutdown -r +1
Replacing 4 with some other hour, to follow if it will reboot, then set the date of the month and rejoice :)
dromer1967

Post by dromer1967 »

Thanks for the tip xchatter. But somewhere on the forum I read that a reboot of the PI doesn't necessarily mean that the Z-WAY chip is reset also. In that case rebooting the PI doesn't solve the problem.

And I can confirm that. I had a nightly reboot on the PI but it still freezes after a couple of weeks.

So I need a method to stop the Z-WAY server ánd reset the chip as if it had been powered down.
xchatter

Post by xchatter »

Hi,

You can also add similar scheduled command to reset the z-way server (sudo service z-way-server restart), but i think with the Raspberry rebooted, everything attached to it is also rebooted. The z-way server definetely is.

If there is another catch, I hope someone shares with us. :)
dromer1967

Post by dromer1967 »

Although the PI is rebooted that does not mean that the Razberry is also rebooted since the power remains. The Z-Way sever will however indeed be restarted.

I hope some of the creators of razberry can explain me how to work around this issue I have.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

dromer1967 wrote: explain me how to work around this issue I have.
Which version do you have? I have been bugged too by system hangs after 7-10 days. RC24 seems to be a bit more robust for me.
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
dromer1967

Post by dromer1967 »

pz1 wrote:Which version do you have? I have been bugged too by system hangs after 7-10 days. RC24 seems to be a bit more robust for me.
I have had this problem in every version I run, each time hoping it will be solved in the new version :(

Currently I am running the official 2.0 release.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

pz1 wrote:RC24 seems to be a bit more robust for me.
Sorry, I did speak to soon. Just an hour after that post, my system crashed very badly :evil:

Imho, a system that really requires weekly resets is not worth looking at. I am really fed up at the moment.
pierre2302

Post by pierre2302 »

I had similar problems, the raspberry was not accessible any more but in my case it was Wi-Fi which this disconnected while by cable RJ45 no concern but with the last updates Linux more worries!

The raspberry wifi works since 83 days !!
" Raspi 2 (RaZberry) / Raspi B (Razberry) " With OpenRemote Free 2.2.0_TTS-Email-Serial and Z-Way
dromer1967

Post by dromer1967 »

pierre2302 wrote:I had similar problems, the raspberry was not accessible any more but in my case it was Wi-Fi which this disconnected while by cable RJ45 no concern but with the last updates Linux more worries!

The raspberry wifi works since 83 days !!
Which updates took care of your WIFI problems? Worth a shot to see if this was my problem too :)