Newcomer questions

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
TommyE

Newcomer questions

Post by TommyE »

Hello all

I'm a long time VeraLite user but I feel I'm ready for a change as the VeraLite is becoming old/slow/outgrown.

I have set up z-wave me on a raspberry pi with a z-wave module. I also have an USB RFXCOM device I would like to add to z-wave later if possible.

Before I can move my z-wave devices to z-wave.me I need to sort out some other devices I have. These are controlled thru a telnet device.

Wondering what the easiest way to get the telnet devices into eg. binary switches or dimmers on the z-wave.me platform? On the Vera I have written a couple of plugins that does the talk.

I see there are some nice plugins, is there possibly a plugin that can be used as a base to send TCP messages and then parse the echo I get back from that and translate into eg. a binary switch?

Regards
Tommy
PoltoS

Re: Newcomer questions

Post by PoltoS »

No plugins yet - you can write one ;)

Use either system("telnet xxx < cmd file") [don't forget to add telnet in .syscommands] or better use sockets.tcp() to directly connect to telnet.

You can use CodeDevice app to bind virtual devices to JS code
albertov

Post by albertov »

My personal opinion is that you could move to z-way if you have a strong knowledge in programming. If not, you will never be able to have the same features that you have on Vera.

I decided to try z-way because of the great support of devices but once I tried the web interface and the rules logic, I regrets the decision. I don't have enough expertise to customize/develop new modules, so z-way is more or less a web interface for switching on and off devices: you can create simple rules but I don't think that are enough powerful if compared to competitors controller.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

People willing to use RFXCOM and send TCP messages should for sure have enough skills even on Vera ;)