Power loss: Switch - will not be recovered

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
michap

Power loss: Switch - will not be recovered

Post by michap »

If a switch will loss power (maybe any failure or a fuse,...) and power will recover, then this switch will not be available again in UI.
You will see in events something like "| Connection lost to Z-Wave device ID: 5"

After power is back - switch can not be used more.

As sample for device: NodOn Smart Plug
(http://www.pepper1.net/zwavedb/device/697)

You can configure "...set-up the Power Failure / Recover notification and the associated group" - but it can not communicate with controller more.

What can be here the best way?
At one side Z-Way should detect dead nodes. At other side a node must not be "dead" - but can be "not available" for some time.
Is it possible to detect such difference for devices - or maybe there can be set an additional parameter anywhere?

Or is there any other simple way for a normal user (without "extended scripting" ;) )

[EDIT]: Have seen that switch will be recovered after one hour (or more) - so maybe an option "disable" this failed status for specific devices could be an idea? Because of one hour for recovery is a long time...

Michael
PoltoS

Re: Power loss: Switch - will not be recovered

Post by PoltoS »

Let me explain how it work:
When Z-Way detects failed node, it tries to reach it few times. If it fails, it then tries in a minute, 10, hour and then daily. Why so rare? not to block useful traffic.

But how to recover faster? Just plug back your device and press any button to report new value. Z-Way will catch it and make new check immediately. This NodOn device seems not to report anything to Z-Way on power on. All Z-Wave.Me appliances do this to update their status (status might change after power on - depends on configuration of recovering after power fail) and this also helps to detect they are back (like I'm here!).

Don't think we can do better here
michap

Post by michap »

thanks for explainig ;)

Sounds like perfect solution.
NodOn have special events for "power back" and "power loss" (buffered), so I will recheck it, maybe config for device is not right by default setting.

Will add result later.

Thank again.
Michael
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Please check, may be it comes as Notification event and we should add an explicit polling of the device based on this event.
michap

Post by michap »

I have tested the NodOn switch in detail the switch now with Z-Way rc15.

About the “power lost” problem:

Configuration 1:
After include set the parameter 2 to “1” – so that alarm will be reported.
(maybe good idea to set it by default to “1” ? )

If power will be lost – device is reporting about this issue.
Same if power will come back.
But: No Alarm device does change the status

If device will now come back – it will be recognized because of the Alarm event and job will be executed
--------
Configuration 2:
After include the parameter 2 is "0" (standard) – so that NO alarm will be reported.

Nothing will happen after power is lost or power is recovered. Switch will not be redetected.
If you will switch the device – job will be removed
BUT: if make from UI a “check connectivity” – device will be detected

----------
Additional – not critical, but for user confusing – there will be added 6 devices.
Only the switch have a real function.
Alarm will be set once – and never reset.

Code: Select all

ZWayVDev_zway_2-0-113-8-2-A             Power Management (2.0.113.8.2) Alarm           off
ZWayVDev_zway_2-0-113-8-254-A            Power Management (2.0.113.8.254) Alarm         on
ZWayVDev_zway_2-0-113-8-3-A             Power Management (2.0.113.8.3) Alarm           off
ZWayVDev_zway_2-0-37                     Switch (2.0)
ZWayVDev_zway_2-0-113-9-1-A             System (2.0.113.9.1) Alarm                     off
ZWayVDev_zway_2-0-113-9-254-A            System (2.0.113.9.254) Alarm                   on
Not clear how to use it...

More details were send via mail to development.

Michael
tomshuette

Post by tomshuette »

I have the same problem. after power lost on a düwi plug switch ...Network connection lost... after power on, still connection lost. But the switch work with the secondary controller ( Remote Control) ! very confus.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

This is because Z-Way have no way to understand that device is back. It will try from time to time to check connection and them will mark as working itself. If the device is sending a report on power on, it will be marked as working immediatelly
tomshuette

Post by tomshuette »

oh, a miracle...the switch was back an next day
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

no miracle - this is as designed ;)
tomshuette

Post by tomshuette »

now, i hat the same lost fail...wait 3 days...never comes back self. I think die z-way sw will not retry reconnection automaticly. Thats a bad think, if the divice control daily
after manual start the "call connectivity", the divice was back!