iOS9 and Homekit

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
leonmf

Re: iOS9 and Homekit

Post by leonmf »

vh342 wrote:I wanted to write a post about it since a few days. You were faster now!

HomeBridge for Zway is working rock solid since now 2 weeks here. HomeKit integration is definitely better than with the deprecated z-way module ever was. The installation and configuration took me a quarter of an hour. Clear recommendation from my side!

If help is needed for installation, drop me a line!
A couple of questions:

1. Which version of Z-Way are you using?
2. Are you running on a Raspberry Pi? If so, I presume you had to follow these instructions before installing Homebridge? - https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge/w ... spberry-Pi
vh342

Post by vh342 »

I'm running a Z-Way 2.1.1 on a Raspberry Pi 2.

Yes, these installation instructions were straight forward!

I choose the option "opt_in" to manually tag the devices I want to control with Homekit. Currently I use a Fibaro MultiSensor for temperature and light metering, a Fibaro wall plug (Z-wave) and a couple of 433Mhz plugs (as code devices) for remote switching via Homekit. Siri voice control of my Gaggia Classic is awesome in the morning ;)
leonmf

Post by leonmf »

Tested successfully with 2.2.0-rc4 but the install took a lot longer than expected with all of the various packages that needed to be install on the rPi 2!
leonmf

Post by leonmf »

I originally had Homebridge setup on the same rPi2 as my Z-way server. Moving it off to it's own rPi1 dramatically improved the performance of the Homekit integration.
Simonbrown

Post by Simonbrown »

Hi I would welcome any assistance here as I seem to be banging my head against a wall.

I have had a zwave system for a while controlled by a Vera edge which together with a few plugins is the brain to my whole automation system, Vera however lacks Siri control and so I recently added a zway controller to my network running on my pi2.

I was convinced this was the way to go as zway was advertised as being HomeKit compatable. Since spending my money on the zwave gpio interface and downloading the software I have since found out that the gateway for HomeKit has been removed.

Your post seems to indicate you have cracked a work around which I would be very keen to learn of as I have spent hours on this now and am going nowhere fast. Would you be kind enough to offer a little assistance?

Regards Simon
leonmf

Post by leonmf »

Simonbrown wrote: Would you be kind enough to offer a little assistance?

Regards Simon
Sadly, I do not currently have time to offer anything meaningful in the way of assistance.

Here's what I can share, though:

1. The process is straightforward if you have some Linux experience. I wouldn't go so far as to call it easy but detailed following of instructions worked for me. Really, everything you need is in the instructions.
2. I originally had Homebridge installed on my Z-Way Raspberry Pi. The problem with that is that it ran slow and I had to rebuild both when the rPi2 corrupted it's file system.
3. I'm running Z-Way on a rPi2 and Homebridge on an old rPi1.
4. You could probably skip the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade steps of the OS for the rPi install because they take a very long time but you might as well follow the proceedures to the letter.

Good luck!