Schlage BE469 door lock notifications?

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
jswim788

Schlage BE469 door lock notifications?

Post by jswim788 »

I have a new Schlage BE469 door lock that I'm trying to use with the 2.3.1 z-way. The lock paired and the interview is 100% complete. The HA UI shows several alarm buttons. I can control the lock through Z-way. But I get no notifications of the lock status. The z-way server log shows the alarm command class coming in, so I am sure that the lock is communicating with the z-way server. But the z-way doesn't seem to process the events. Any idea on what is wrong?

One unusual thing I notice is on the expert UI configuration page, there is a warning at the top that says: "This device doesn't have the necessary service." Everything else seems fine. The expert page has all the commands to set the codes and options and that seems to work. Association is set with Z-way.

The only issue is that the notifications don't get processed. Ideas?
CudaNet

Re: Schlage BE469 door lock notifications?

Post by CudaNet »

@jswim788

I have multiple BE468's using a gen2 z-way controller. I can confirm that I too have the same notification under the configuration tab. However, I'm receiving a status updates for all my locks. Could this be lock firmware related?

I'm attaching a screen shot of my locks (back door, front door etc.) for when I left my house this morning as well as there versioning.

Code: Select all

Front Door Lock	 	 	 	6.51.06	 	 	104.21 	Secure Keypad 
Back Door Lock	 	 	 	6.51.06	 	 	104.21 	Secure Keypad 
--CN
Attachments
schlageBE468lock.png
schlageBE468lock.png (34.21 KiB) Viewed 12562 times
jswim788

Post by jswim788 »

I realize now that for a short time, it did report status. Then it stopped reporting status. I'll look into the logs to see if anything happened at that time. And perhaps try a reboot. All other Z-wave activities seem fine. And I can see the status messages flowing to the z-way server, just not making it to the UI.

Now that I look at it, it worked until I rebooted. I had the UZB near the lock for inclusion where it worked fine. Then I shut down the pi and UZB and moved it to the central location. At which point the notifications stopped. The Z-way logs indicate the messages are still getting to it, but something is not working. Perhaps another reboot?
Attachments
lock.PNG
lock.PNG (21.72 KiB) Viewed 12558 times
CudaNet

Post by CudaNet »

I was just going to comment that this sounds like a range issue... Feel free to ping me here or on MCV (I often check both areas from day to day).
jswim788 wrote:I realize now that for a short time, it did report status. Then it stopped reporting status. I'll look into the logs to see if anything happened at that time. And perhaps try a reboot. All other Z-wave activities seem fine. And I can see the status messages flowing to the z-way server, just not making it to the UI.

Now that I look at it, it worked until I rebooted. I had the UZB near the lock for inclusion where it worked fine. Then I shut down the pi and UZB and moved it to the central location. At which point the notifications stopped. The Z-way logs indicate the messages are still getting to it, but something is not working. Perhaps another reboot?
jswim788

Post by jswim788 »

I was just going to comment that this sounds like a range issue...
I thought that at first, but I can see the lock/unlock coming through to the Z-way server log. If it were a range issue, I don't think I'd see them there at all. Unless there is an ACK issue? I'll study the 2 logs I have where it gets recorded by the upper layers and where it does not. Maybe I'll see something. Also, the battery level is reported. Seems like too much of a coincidence that the battery level gets through and the status doesn't. There's more to the story, but I don't have the full story yet.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Lock is sending alerts to ZWay (you saw it in a log) that's good. There are no delivery issue with your setup.

You have to use module called Nifler. This module will bind upon those alerts and query the lock "GetStatus". This way ZWay is working (no pan intended) with Schlage locks unfortunately.

jswim788 wrote:
I was just going to comment that this sounds like a range issue...
I thought that at first, but I can see the lock/unlock coming through to the Z-way server log. If it were a range issue, I don't think I'd see them there at all. Unless there is an ACK issue? I'll study the 2 logs I have where it gets recorded by the upper layers and where it does not. Maybe I'll see something. Also, the battery level is reported. Seems like too much of a coincidence that the battery level gets through and the status doesn't. There's more to the story, but I don't have the full story yet.
jswim788

Post by jswim788 »

You have to use module called Nifler. This module will bind upon those alerts and query the lock "GetStatus". This way ZWay is working (no pan intended) with Schlage locks unfortunately.
This is crazy, but it does seem to help. I can see from the logs that the necessary information is received, so there is no need for Niffler. This is unlike GE/Jasco switches which do not send the information. So I don't understand why this is needed for the lock. But I can't argue with success. Are you able to see which user code was used? I'm not sure if that is there or not in the UI. Vera can do that. I will look. Thanks.

@CudaNet, did you need to use Niffler?
CudaNet

Post by CudaNet »

Initially I did (2.2.3) but with 2.3.1 I don't have to.. When using Niffler, you might notice that your locks are periodically reporting an update which gives a false that someone has unlocked the door (last update). So I stopped using Niffler all together.

As for the user code, you might want to review this thread where AK added the ability for us to attain that information (reply #12):
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/ ... #msg296174

And here is an example once you install zway_cgi.lua. So you can execute this directly from openLuup (e.g. in a scene when the lock changes status).

http://{ip}:3480/ZWaveAPI/Run/devices[{lockID}].Alarm.data.V1event
And the JSON response...

{"invalidateTime":1485711904,"updateTime":1492779865,"type":"empty","value":null,"alarmType":{"invalidateTime":1485711904,"updateTime":1492779865,"type":"int","value":19},"level":{"invalidateTime":1485711904,"updateTime":1492779865,"type":"int","value":4}}
Using the above response payload, '19' indicates the lock was unlocked using a code. Here is what I have for these lock conditions:

18 - Lock Button
19 - Code Unlock
21 - Manual Lock
22 - Manual Unlock
24 - Software Lock
25 - Software Unlock

or better yet:
18, 21, 24 or 27 is a LOCK event.
19, 22 or 25 in an UNLOCK event. 19 is a keypad PIN entry.
17, 23 or 26 is an ERROR condition
33 or 112 is a user code modification (added, deleted, changed)
161 indicates 3 failed attempts at PIN entry
162 indicated an invalid schedule for a user (if you get that far into programming the lock)
167 indicates a LOW BATTERY condition (30%)
168 indicates BATTERY CRITICAL
169 indicates battery too low to operate lock
Again, same response payload example, '4' is the user code...

Hope that helps,
CN
jswim788 wrote:
This is crazy, but it does seem to help. I can see from the logs that the necessary information is received, so there is no need for Niffler. This is unlike GE/Jasco switches which do not send the information. So I don't understand why this is needed for the lock. But I can't argue with success. Are you able to see which user code was used? I'm not sure if that is there or not in the UI. Vera can do that. I will look. Thanks.

@CudaNet, did you need to use Niffler?
Last edited by CudaNet on 22 Apr 2017 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
jswim788

Post by jswim788 »

Initially I did (2.2.3) but with 2.3.1 I don't have to..
Okay, so what trick did you use to get this to work without Niffler? I'm sure I can get the information I need with the methods that you and AK outlined, but I need to get the information into the server so it can be queried. Do you have an XML file that you are using for the lock? I'm not sure where that XML is used. Any other specific configuration for the lock? My UI does show the alarm channels, so I'm pretty sure that Z-way sees it as a lock. Any other thoughts?
Thanks.
CudaNet

Post by CudaNet »

Oddly enough, something changed regarding modules for 2.2.3 to 2.3.1. You used to be required to copy over custom modules then reload the z-way server to initialize (a total pain). I guess z-way decided to do this for us... So I checked the logs and sure enough:

[2017-04-21 07:36:13.337] [I] [core] Niffler doorlock alarm event
[2017-04-21 07:36:13.338] [I] [zway] Adding job: Door Lock Operation Get
[2017-04-21 07:36:13.346] [I] [zway] Node 47:0 CC Security: sending Nonce Get
Obviously active apps also had my configs from long ago...

--CN
jswim788 wrote:
Initially I did (2.2.3) but with 2.3.1 I don't have to..
Okay, so what trick did you use to get this to work without Niffler? I'm sure I can get the information I need with the methods that you and AK outlined, but I need to get the information into the server so it can be queried. Do you have an XML file that you are using for the lock? I'm not sure where that XML is used. Any other specific configuration for the lock? My UI does show the alarm channels, so I'm pretty sure that Z-way sees it as a lock. Any other thoughts?
Thanks.