Interviews start disappearing

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
ridewithstyle

Re: Interviews start disappearing

Post by ridewithstyle »

Hello and thanks for your help.

True, I didn't upgrade the controller's bootloader & firmware, I previously missed that part. I just upgraded a cascade of firmwares and have reached 5.36.

Now I see some nice analytics options, but the problem persists. For kicks I will exclude one of the thermostats (the one I bought for fiddling around) and see what happens. To emphasize, those thermostats all worked fine until I upgraded to the 3.x software line, then they suddenly started to act up one after another over time.

best regards,
rws
ridewithstyle

Post by ridewithstyle »

Update: I excluded the thermostat and tried to include as new. Secure inclusion fails, I always get the message to exclude and try again. If I include from the expert GUI and force unsecure inclusion, the thermostat gets included most of the interviews complete (some fail because the routing line update takes too much time and the interviews get removed due to timeout in the meanwhile). After unsecure inclusion the device works as expected, all the virtual devices are populated. To double check, I repeated this with a second thermostat to rule out a defective device

So it seems that the problem is the following:
- the thermostats were secure included with a 2.3.x ZWay version and worked fine (still have some of those in the list, marked as secure but pretty much useless. ignoring commands, "invalid arguments"-error log entries, etc.)
- after upgrading ZWay to 3.0.x they started acting up. Retrying interviews intended to fix this resulted in useless devices
- secure re-inclusion after previous exclude fails repeatedly
- unsecure inclusion after previous exclude seems to work

Since going unsecure seems the solution here, that will be my task. Excluding all the devices and reincluding them will be some work, but since it's summer, I only have to finish it until fall.

I'm just happy that I don't have to repeat that with all the wall-buried devices that would by madness

Best Regards,
rws
equathza

Post by equathza »

Insecure is perhaps a temporary work-a-round.. I hope your issue is not a "device issue" that needs your device to be upgraded.

Please do take the effort to collect a new set of logs with the new firmware (just 1 device, and mention the device id)
I am confident the issue will be resolved in a future update (special device work-a-rounds exists), once they can identify the issue.

Unfortunately I do not own such a thermostat device like yours. My thermostats (Danfoss) it's initial designed feature got dropped in later z-wave specs, but yeah I did some painful needed re-includes, and at some point a rebuild of the total network.
-> A fellow Z-way user running a network of 50+ devices
ridewithstyle

Post by ridewithstyle »

Hi equathza,

yeah, I'm not very fond of re-including all "broken" thermostats in unsecure again as well. Since it's summer I will continue to debug at big again and again but come fall the reinclusion will be my only option. Since the local control worked, my wife could control everything by hand but I don't want to see the bill for this after no thermostat was automatically lowered this winter ;-)

Will keep this post updated when I get the time to do a full re-include and log hunting.

Cheers
rws
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

Please show logs if inclusion. There should be a reason of such strange behavior
rafale77

Post by rafale77 »

I just had one of my devices completely lose all of its interview results too. Completely out of nowhere. One out of 150 and luckily it was not a battery operated one so it was easy to recover. Can I suggest to put a manual lock on the interview database so that no data can be changed by any input from the zwave network when it is locked? This is pretty annoying between this and the ghost CRC16 and security class showing up. It could be due to noise on the zwave channel or some data corruption/error in the z-way-server but either way the best solution is to lock down these interview results. Maybe even allow for changing this database only within 1min after "forced interview" button is pushed or something of that sort.
ridewithstyle

Post by ridewithstyle »

PoltoS wrote:
03 May 2020 12:20
Please show logs if inclusion. There should be a reason of such strange behavior
Hi Poltos,

Another exclusion followed by multiple tries for correct inclusion. Inclusion failed to complete everytime, the last time I had to even force interviews because Zway didn't interview the device. I sometimes saw interview messages regarding Secure KEX Get in the job queue but according to the expert gui, the interveiw is not complete.

Prior to inclusion, I excluded the device everytime, device and ZWay confirmed the exclude.

The Thermostat had a distance of 3 Meters with direct line of sight to ZWay.

If you need more, please let me know.

Best regards,
rws
Attachments
zway_log.7z
(41.62 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
ridewithstyle

Post by ridewithstyle »

btw. PoltoS, if you like, I can send you one of the devices if you want to really look into it. I don't really need them in the Summer.
ridewithstyle

Post by ridewithstyle »

Hey PoltoS,

any progress on this?

Best Regards,
rws
ridewithstyle

Post by ridewithstyle »

I excluded all my failed thermostats and re-included them unsecure. There was no progress on the bugfix/debugging and I didn't want to start the heating period with broken thermostats

regards,
rws