Does anyone know if Eaton/Cooper Aspire Z-Wave switches/outlets need some sort of proprietary device to set up?

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
Deadeye

Does anyone know if Eaton/Cooper Aspire Z-Wave switches/outlets need some sort of proprietary device to set up?

Post by Deadeye »

I purchased some used Eaton/Cooper aspire switches and outlets recently:
RF9517 RF Accessory Switch
RF9540-N RF Smart Dimmer Master
RF9501 RF Single Pole Switch
RF9542-Z RF Smart Dimmer Accessory
RFTR9505-T RF TR Split Control Duplex Receptacle

I thought I could just toss them onto my z-wave network (Homeseer controller) with instruction that I could find online. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any detailed manuals. I just found this for one of the switches:
https://images.homedepot-static.com/cat ... 7e619a.pdf
Which basically says "For detailed programming instructions for your switch, refer to the ASPIRE RF manual that is included with the Handheld (RFHDCSG) or Table Top (RFTDCSG) Controller."
I can't find much info on those controllers except where to purchase them.

I did find another manual for a similar Aspire switch that stated:
"Please reference the Instruction Sheet included with the product for wiring installation. For programming of the device, see the Aspire RF User Manual, which is provided with either the handheld (RFHDCSG) or tabletop (RFTDCSG) controllers and are also accessible online at www.cooperwiringdevices.com/AspireRF"
Of course, that link no longer exists so I think I've run out of options except to ask to see if anyone has any copies of manuals that might shed some light on how I can reset and program these devices to register on my Z-Wave network. I'm REALLY hoping that these devices don't require some sort of expensive programming equipment. Usually, it's just a certain number of taps to get it into learning mode or reset the entire thing.

I've tried contacting Eaton directly a few weeks ago, but of course, trying to get a response from a company that large for support on a product that is probably too old makes me feel like I'm screaming into the void.

Thanks.
rafale77

Re: Does anyone know if Eaton/Cooper Aspire Z-Wave switches/outlets need some sort of proprietary device to set up?

Post by rafale77 »

I have a few 9540 and they included just fine... with any zwave controllers. So no it needs nothing special.
Deadeye

Re: Does anyone know if Eaton/Cooper Aspire Z-Wave switches/outlets need some sort of proprietary device to set up?

Post by Deadeye »

Do you know what you did to get them to connect? Hold it down until it flashes or anything beyond that?
rafale77

Post by rafale77 »

look up the manual of the switch. I can't remember now. It is exactly like any other zwave device:
set the controller in inclusion mode, and wake up the device making sure that the device is not already included in another network. There is practically nothing more vanilla than these devices for z-wave.
a 30s web search on duckduck go got me to this:
https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-u ... nd-outlets