razberry range problems

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
Pitt13

hello,

Post by Pitt13 »

hello,
so my idea is to increase the scope of the network and be able to also measure the Wall Plug module Fibaro
:D
peulberg

How to do it?

Post by peulberg »

Dear PoltoS,

I would like to try it on my own risk.
I just learned that one uses a small UFL connector and then plug a pigtail will the real SMA onto it. The SMA will then get screwed to the case.
There is a little resistor right before the long line of pcb copper. I assume this is one of the poles of the antenna. Since your suggested model is a dipole antenna, where would the second pole go (or come from)?
And which of these is the inner and outer pole of an UFL/SMA or reverse pole (RP)-SMA? I suppose it matters which is which ;)
Once I know where to solder it I would procure an SMA.

The thing is, I could really need some range extension.
Today I tried to install Fibaro window reed sensors and the connection won't make it to another floor. I already knew it and tried to optimize it but didn't succeed too much.
I will also install a few mains powered devices (in contrast to battery powered devices) that can act as a router but for the reed sensor with the longest distance to the Razberry there is no possibility to bridge the gap at an optimal place.

So a photo or a sketch with two marks where to solder the SMA plug including polarity would be really beneficial.

I really like your product, especially the Javascript software. I already use hooks so my own functions will run if events are triggered...
... this is really nice, especially for the price and the RPi as a device to learn all sorts of things, e.g. z-wave.

edit:
After a little research I think the two poles are already there.
Are they the two little solder spots on the opposite of the resistor connecting the pcb antenna?
Looking on the Razberry as pictured on your website: The upper one would be ground, the lower one right next to the resistor leading to the antenna would be signal?

Well anyways, any information would be really appreciated.

Kind regards,

peter
Pitt13

Aeotec - Rage Extender Z-wave

Post by Pitt13 »

Hello,
apparently Aeotec announces Z-Wave repeater to extend the network "Rage Extender Z-wave "
French site : http://www.domotique-info.fr/2013/07/un ... ez-aeotec/
peulberg

New Antenna

Post by peulberg »

I just want to let you all know, that I successfully added a new antenna to the razberry. I bought a 868 MHz antenna and added it without an additional capacitor to the two soldering spots next to the build in antenna.
It works like a charme. The range roughly doubled.
Once I wrote a blog entry on my website I will come back and leave a link. There will be additional information how to do it and also some pictures.

Kind regards,

Peter
pz1

Looking forward to that!

Post by pz1 »

Looking forward to that!
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
sonnyboy

@peulberg

Post by sonnyboy »

Have you made any blogentry about tihs yet?
PoltoS

The device from Aeotec is

Post by PoltoS »

The device from Aeotec is pretty useless, since almost all Z-Wave mains powered devices are repeaters ;)

Unless I miss something ...
janver

Post by janver »

The pictures would be greatly appreciated, any news on that?
AndyWhittaker

Additional Antenna Added

Post by AndyWhittaker »

Hi Guys,

Although this is quite old now, I just couldn't get my Razberry working past a few metres. All is now solved, complete with a blog write-up.

Read it in my blog: http://blog.ecufix.com/

Andy
krambriw

Interesting, just one

Post by krambriw »

Interesting, just one additional question:

- Shouldn't the wire antenna actually be soldered on the other side of the cap and that side of the cap disconnected from the pcb board antenna? Otherwise it looks to me as if you add an additional antenna in parallel to the existing one. How is this going to impact the total impedance, is this optimum?

Best regards, Walter