RaZberry to USB/Serial adapter

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
mgb

RaZberry to USB/Serial adapter

Post by mgb »

So I just got my RaZberry daughter board and started playing around with it and so far so good. However, the hardware limitations of the RPi make dev work slow. Is it possible to connect the RaZberry daughter board (or RPi + RaZberry) to a Linux box and access it via a USB-to-Serial interface? This way I could dev on the Linux box and run my production on the RPi itself.

Thanks!
--mgb
PoltoS

Yes, you can connect RaZberry

Post by PoltoS »

Yes, you can connect RaZberry via USB-to-Serial converter, but you need to do it yourself.
mgbowman

So using something like this:

Post by mgbowman »

So using something like this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/718

It appears the Z-Wave chip is using 3V3 and the 5V GPIO Rasperry pins are unused. So it would seem I would simply need to wire up the 3V3 (P1), GND (P6), TXD (P8), RXD (P10) from the RaZberry to the appropriate pins on the USB breakout board. Can you confirm?

Thanks!
--mgb

PoltoS

Confirmed!

Post by PoltoS »

Confirmed!

Why to do this? We are releasing soon the USB adapter compatible with Z-Way for Raspberry Pi, Windows and Linux x86
mgbowman

Because I can and you haven't

Post by mgbowman »

Because I can and you haven't released the USB adapter yet! :)

Like I said, I would like to develop on my workstation instead of the RPi so I was looking for a way to attach the RaZberry daughter board via USB and access it as a serial port.