Device names

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
OnnoH

Device names

Post by OnnoH »

It's possible (using the Expert UI) to give the devices a functional name.

With devices that have children like the Fibaro FGRGB101 and FGS221 you cannot rename the different children. Am I missing something or is this a feature request?
billyboy

Re: Device names

Post by billyboy »

that is true, I asked the same question months a go, and they say that it is not posible yet but will be in the future.
PoltoS

Post by PoltoS »

It is possible to do it in the new UI. The old Blue one will never allow this
boomhauser

Post by boomhauser »

I extended the UI to do this very thing because it was a limitation on usability when the users could not tell which device did what. The source code is provided so you can extend it too. I made a very nice addition that allows me to give friendly names to devices and customize the icons and even make devices appear in more than one zone when it was appropriate. I also implemented psuedo-devices in the UI which accomplish scenes and other conditions.

The good part is that the uses don't know (and don't care) about the difference. The downside is all my custom work is in code, so I have to use Notepad++ to make any changes.

All in all I like my solution and the users use it, which means they must find it useful.

I know it's being deprecated, but I used mobile UI as a base because it implements all the infrastructure, is easy to understand and has platform independence.