Stella Z thermostat doesn't want include in z-wave network

Discussions about existing Z-Wave device and their usage with Z-Way/Z-Cloud/Z-Box
paoloc

Stella Z thermostat doesn't want include in z-wave network

Post by paoloc »

Hi,
I've just bought a new stella-z thermostat, but following the istrucions manual I'm unable to join it to my z-wave network. This is the second stella-z I bought (I returned the first one to the vendor).
Both devices doesn't work as described into the manual: as soon as I insert the battery and press the button for 2.5 seconds no led light blink (it should blink green light according to the manual), and I think immediatly starts the calibration functinon (but I'm not sure of this).

Does anyone have the same device? Which is the behaviour after inserting batteries?
Can anyone help me, please?

Thank you in advance.
Bye

Paolo
pz1

Re: Stella Z thermostat doesn't want include in z-wave netwo

Post by pz1 »

I have several of them. I had no problems other that it did take some more tries for some of them.
  1. Fixed the white mounting on the radiator valve (optionally using one of the black fitting rings for different valve brands)
  2. Inserted batteries, and watch from the front that actuator had stopped moving inwards.
  3. Immediately after this stop, click the thermostat housing on the white ring. See the printed instruction how to prevent damaging the device

Raspberry Pi should not be to far away. For some devices it is best to be within a meter or so. To my surprise these StellaZs, do still work at a rether long distance.
    For the next steps, place your controller in inclusion mode.
  4. After a couple of minutes after the device had come to rest, I pushed the button until the little light lit up.
  5. If that did not work for inclusion, I did push the button until it started flashing red. Then waited again till the device had come to rest. If not included, than I did a short push for a green light again.
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
paoloc

Post by paoloc »

Hi, thank you very much for your help.
I've tried your istructions many times at about 15cm from RazBerry, but at step 4 no little light lit up (even red or green).
At this point I think the device is dameged (the second one).

Is there any kind of hard reset I can try?

Thank you again.

Bye

Paolo
pz1

Post by pz1 »

I don't think you can reset it. At least I did not find it in the long manual that I got via http://manuals.zwaveeurope.com/ (they have done a great job in rewriting many manuals into a common structure)
Very strange that two devices would be broken. Did your supplier test the first device that you returned?
Since 29-12-2016 I am no longer a moderator for this forum
bcaroll

Post by bcaroll »

Could there be a bad batch? I have just tried to install a new Stella Z that does not show any light at all. The valve actuator is moving. My Razberry does not find it even when I moved it to within a 20 cm of the mounted Stella Z.

I have two other Stella Z that is working and they flash light when I click the button.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

bcaroll wrote:Could there be a bad batch? I have just tried to install a new Stella Z that does not show any light at all. The valve actuator is moving. My Razberry does not find it even when I moved it to within a 20 cm of the mounted Stella Z.

I have two other Stella Z that is working and they flash light when I click the button.
Sometimes you may have to fiddle a bit with the batteries. If no success I would indeed ask your supplier to test this device for you.
sylvaink

Post by sylvaink »

Hello

I have the same problem with 7 Stella Z. 2 where included but wend offline and even they are in 1 meter range they stay still offline.
paoloc

Post by paoloc »

bcaroll wrote:Could there be a bad batch? I have just tried to install a new Stella Z that does not show any light at all. The valve actuator is moving. My Razberry does not find it even when I moved it to within a 20 cm of the mounted Stella Z.

Hi bcaroll,
this is exactly the same behaviour that I get. I also fiddled a lot with batteries but nothing....
I think you're right, it could be a bad batch.... I'm going to ask to my supplier

Bye
bcaroll

Post by bcaroll »

Hi!
My supplier confirmed that there was a known software problem with StellaZ. I got a new one that works.
pz1

Post by pz1 »

I just noticed in this manual that at power up (so after placing the batteries) the StellaZ stays for 3 minutes in auto-inclusion mode.
So remove and place a battery, and then quickly start the inclusion on your controller.

(I haven't tried this yet)