need help with re-installation on same raspberry pi

Discussions about RaZberry - Z-Wave board for Raspberry computer
doubledrat

need help with re-installation on same raspberry pi

Post by doubledrat »

as title, I've started a clean installation on a new SD card. All seems OK, but I get
Controller is secondary in the network. It can not add/remove devices to/from the network. Use your primary controller to add new devices and delete old.
I can't have both running at the same time as I only have one pi and one razberry board.

I tried doing a backup from the old system (from expert/control), but got a failure when I tried to restore the backup on the new installation.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how this new installation can take over as the primary controller please? thanks
lanbrown

Re: need help with re-installation on same raspberry pi

Post by lanbrown »

doubledrat wrote:
14 Apr 2024 16:26
but got a failure when I tried to restore the backup on the new installation
What is the error? I have done many system changes. I have moved all of my systems from RPI4B's to systems with RPI4CM's. Same Razberry board being used.
doubledrat

Post by doubledrat »

it says "restoring backup" then an incredibly helpful error of "Upload or restore of backup has failed"

my source system hasn't been updated in ages. perhaps that's the problem? the thing is, it currently works, so I'm loathe to change the original setup.

(the reason I'm updating is that the OS is so out of date, that I can no longer do other things with it.)
doubledrat

Post by doubledrat »

PS the version that I'm coming from is 1.10.2
lanbrown

Post by lanbrown »

I don't see a 1.10 listed but:
04.03.2013 v1.1
21.11.2014 v2.0.0
So what you're running is a decade old. I would suggest contacting Z-Wave.me support directly.

https://z-wave.me/support/

Only they would know if a 1.x backup could be restored to a 4.x new install. You might have to do a stepped upgrade approach but OS compatibility plays a factor too. You might just need to start from scratch. There is the adage of if it isn't broke, don't fix it. However, a decade is a very longtime and sometimes running a very old system means the upgrade path is no longer easy.
doubledrat

Post by doubledrat »

maybe I'm quoting the wrong number, but it says ui version 1.10.2 with a built date of 26/4/2020, so not so old. firmware is v3.0.6