Why do I see multiple items for the same device? (i.e. 20.0, 20.1, etc)

Discussions about Z-Way software and Z-Wave technology in general
sofakng

Why do I see multiple items for the same device? (i.e. 20.0, 20.1, etc)

Post by sofakng »

Can anybody explain why one of my devices shows multiple entries? They seem to have different numbers though:

The device looks OK in the device list though?

...and here is a screenshot from the expert interface:

rafale77

Re: Why do I see multiple items for the same device? (i.e. 20.0, 20.1, etc)

Post by rafale77 »

You probably want to read up on the zwave API device architecture.
There are several levels for a device:
node id: self explanatory
instance: This is used by devices requiring multiples of the same command class: multi switch, energy monitor with multiple phases etc...
command class: The type of data (switch, dimmable, binary sensor, analog sensor, etc...)
subclass: within the command class some have some further distinctions... example for a sensor, what kind of sensor is it etc...

These are then represented by z-way accordingly for those it interpreted.

sofakng

Post by sofakng »

OK - Thanks. I'll read it up on it but it sounds like it might be normal. It's confusing because the Z-Wave device I'm referring to is a single on/off switch with electrical metering and a temperature sensor.

rafale77

Post by rafale77 »

That's unfortunately how the device maker decided to structure its firmware. Why make it simple when you can make it very complicated? I tend to avoid these products like the pest....

enjayaitch

Post by enjayaitch »

I was wondering the same thing with a Fibaro Dimmer 2. Shows three separate switch devices (2.0, 2.1 and 2.2). Only one of them (2.1) “works” (I.e. responds to commands). Yet in the non-expert mode, only one shows up. I’m intrigued to understand what these three things actually represent - any clues? What’s particularly confusing is that the only place I can find these three variants is in the “control” section - is there anywhere else within the UI that displays characteristics etc.?